Model Number A1707. Released June 2017, this MacBook Pro features Kaby Lake processors up to the 2.8 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.8 GHz.

Left fan stuck at high speed

I spilled a little water on the keyboard and immediately dried it out. The laptop functioned perfectly fine after. I was worried that there could be some water deep inside so, a couple days later, I removed the logic board to clean underneath it. There was not any water there. I used canned air to clean out dust, and a hairdryer to make sure there was no water. After reassembling, the left fan has been stuck at full speed whenever the computer is running. I did not remove the fan during this cleaning.

I am using iStat Menus. The thermal sensors appear to be fine.

I am able to use iStat Menus to set the fan speed for the right fan but the left does not respond to the controls.

I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM. I ran an Apple Diagnostics and it said there may be a problem with the fan. I installed a replacement fan and the problem still persists.

What can I do to get the fan under control? Could the heat from the hair dryer have damaged the fan connector or its circuit?

I seriously doubt canned air would have damaged anything on the logic board..fact is that even if a small amount of water reached the board it might have shorted out a secondary but certainly not useless component.

Fact is that due to the size of parts it's hard to see anything with less than 10x magnifying and often one can't see anything at all and just needs to test power/data lines. If it spins full speed and a replacement fan and smc reset didn't help it's likely the fan speed control data line or related component got damaged. I'm afraid you'll need a component level repair professional here.

Thank you. That makes sense.

Did you ever get it repaired or looked at by a company that does component level repair?

You’ll need to run the onboard diagnostics to see what it tells you. Restart your system and hold the D key. That will get you in, once you get an error code let us know. Depending on what you get you may need a new fan or you forgot to connect something.

Reference: Mac startup key combinations

Tristan Bertin will be eternally grateful.