Skip to main content

4-inch iPhone released in March 2016 with similar hardware specifications to the 6S. Available in Silver, Space Grey, Gold, or Rose Gold with 16/32/64/128 GB storage options. Model: A1662 and A1723

1018 Questions View all

Is it safe to charge after water damage?

When I was in town today, my iPhone SE was in my daughters pram along with her juice. The juice leaked everywhere and got into my phone and now it won’t stop vibrating. It works perfectly fine and I’ve put it in dry rice to help the water vapour be collected. I can’t open up the phone to get the logic board or anything as I don’t have the tools. My phone is 15% and I want to charge it but I’m too worried in case I get an electric shock. So, is it safe to charge my phone after water damage and after it being in uncooked rice for a few hours?

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1
Add a comment

3 Answers

Chosen Solution

'''Aleesha Drummond'''  “So, is it safe to charge my phone after water damage and after it being in uncooked rice for a few hours” no it is not. You will no get shocked but your phone may further short-circuit and be fully ruined.

First off, ‘‘‘Rice does not work’’’. It does not stop corrosion, does not dispalce any liquid inside your phone or underneath components etc., nor will it fix any short-circuit. Keep in mind that liquid damage is the hardest to troubleshoot and to repair. It does not matter if is was exposed for 2 seconds or 2 hours, what matters is where the particulates did the damage. As with any other liquid immersed device, you need to follow a few steps for proper trouble shooting.

Stop to trying to turn it on, charge, sync or otherwise use your phone. This potentially can make a bad situation worse.

The very first step I would take is to disassemble your phone. Use these guides iPhone SE (1st Generation) Repair to help you disassemble your phone. Take a careful and close look at all components and connectors. Truly assess the damage. Look for major corrosion, evaluate the pins in the connectors etc,. Take a look at all connectors as well as cable ends. You will have to remove all the EMI shields. If you do not remove the shields, you are not cleaning the board. Once you got the gross contamination cleaned, use 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and clean your parts some more. For a proper cleaning, use this guide. It was written for an Apple iPhone 3G but it is still pertinent to your phone as well. I can not stress the importance of a good cleaning enough, so do it over and over while replacing the alcohol after each cleaning. Do not use compressed air for the cleaning since that can drive liquid as well as corrosion particles into areas that will cause trouble later on. You do not need to leave it to dry for a day. Isopropyl alcohol in the higher concentration will evaporate quickly and dissipate the water. The importance here is the cleaning. It would of course be best to get it professionally cleaned Do not forget to replace the battery. This is a must and not an option. It will fail if you do not take care of it now. After that, reassemble your phone and re-evaluate. For as long as you have not cleaned your board and replaced the battery, everything is just a guess. The longer you wait the less likely your chances to revive this phone.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2
Add a comment

If the phone was covered in water, then rice would be sufficient enough until the life of the phone ran it's course. But considering that the liquid in question was juice, and all juices have a much lower pH than water (Water = 7-ish, Juices =3.3-4), the possibility that some of the internal components such as the battery, motherboard, and charging port could all be compromised is a medium to high likelihood. If the juice in question really did get into the phone, my recommendation would be to take it to a local phone repair store and ask for them to test if the phone has been corroded by whatever juice that came into contact with the phone.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0

1 Comment:

Hi,

This may be of some interest to you.

Don't Put Your Device in Rice. Here's Why

Cheers. ;-)

by

Add a comment

I dunked my phone in a water bowl on accident last night. I quickly wiped it off with the closest towel. Water also got stuck in the speaker/charger port. When I went to try and charge it, no electric shock, just something popped up on my screen saying there has been water and to not charge it and let it dry. I let my phone dry for the night. I woke up and it’s perfectly fine. Just make sure you have warinty on your phone just in case! Have a nice day :)

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0

1 Comment:

Warranties do not cover liquid damage. You maybe lucky that it'll continue to work for a couple of weeks or you may run into trouble when the internals are starting to corrode. I do not think that simply waiting and letting it dry out is a good fix. Time will tell

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Aleesha Drummond will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 18

Past 7 Days: 84

Past 30 Days: 387

All Time: 43,805