Noise problem: Left fan replaced, problem persists

Hello everybody,

I was having big noise problems coming from the left side of my Macbook Pro. Grinding stuff, highly uncomfortable. First I opened the laptop and added some lube to the left fan. The noise disappeared for a couple of hours. I then proceeded to replace the fan, with one from ebay, following the instructions from this website.

After doing so, the left (new) fan continue to produce some noise, although a slightly different one than the one before. Noise goes crazy and suddenly stops. Now iStat says that the left fan ain't spinning. I did a reset on the SMC but still, left fan runs at 0 RPM. Noise of course, disappeared. :P

PS. I'm not sure if the fan is effectively not spinning, I believe I'm getting a low humming, though a different one that the one coming from the right side.

THANKS!!!

For information, left side feels hotter than the right side.

by Paul

Most Helpful Answer

The problem with buying a used fan or an ebay fan is that it's probably as old as the one you're replacing. On this part I much prefer new parts. Here are new ones: MacBook Pro 15" (Model A1150) Left Fan

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pr...

Hello Mayer, Thanks for your answer. I did replace it with a new fan. It was in the description and it did look new. :S

by Paul

How's it working?

by mayer

Latest and greatest: I turned on the computer with the case open. "New" fan not spinning. Reconnected old fan with noise issues and it spins. Stupid fan! I'm going to return it. I lubed the old fan but problem persists... at least I know now.

by Paul

Lots of info on the web for what to use and not use to lube. I like graphite.

by mayer

Paul will be eternally grateful.