iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

No text/SMS sound, only vibrate?

My iPhone 3Gs will play all tones EXCEPT the SMS/text tone...doesn't matter which I choose, all I get is the vibrate. I've restored my phone (not as a new iPhone), done a number of hard resets and power downs.

Any answwer?

Is your phone jailbroken? If it is you can SSH into it and remove any metadata files which may be corrupted, it's the only thing that I can think of that will cause a quirky issue like this.

+ good advice

by ABCellars

Which corrupted files are you referring to? Yes, the phone is jailbroken, and also unlocked...

by Michael

Give me a couple of minutes Michael....I'll SSH into mine and see the exact location. I'm Pretty sure it's under var/library/media/DCM apple but I'm not sure.

by Majesty

What Firmware are u running?

by Majesty

I have not been able to locate any .sqlite or metadata.plist files for the SMS App....Kind of odd being that many native Apple Apps have these files. I had a problem with the Photos App which I resolved by removing these files and re-launching the App. Which firmware are u on? I can remember a couple of years ago there was a problem in the firmware whuch caused this problem. I know how painful a restore as new is, so try this....re-download the firmware you are using but from a different source and restore your phone. If not...I think a restore as new is in order. U can always save all your other apps data on your mac or pc via SSH. Just dont save any SMS related data. U can always back up your phone and remove the sms.db file and see if that helps. That file is in var/user/library/sms. Also...try this easy one first: while in the SMS App hit and hold the home button for 5-7 seconds and force it to close or use SBSettings/Processes and close it there and re-open.

by Majesty

Michael will be eternally grateful.