Second generation of iPhone. Model A1241 / 8 or 16 GB capacity / black or white plastic back. Repair is more straightforward than the first iPhone. requires screwdrivers, prying, and suction tools.

1491 Questions View all

earspeaker dosent work (i think I shorted it out)

i took my iphone apart to replace a faulty vibrator motor... after i replaced it i was reassembling it and when i wanted to connect the screen with the nr. 3 connector i accidentally touched the pins with a screwdriver, and i saw a small spark ... i noticed a very faint smell of (burning electronics)... i managed to re assemble the phone.. i turned it on, seemed to work fine.. i tested the touch sensor ,home button, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, and they all worked but when i got to testing the earphone it didn't work...

i think i shorted something out... but i don`t know if it is the speaker itself or something on the motherboard...

if i order a replacement earspeaker will it resolve my problem???

any ideas?

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

2 Answers

Chosen Solution

Sparks are not a good thing during a repair. If not the earspeaker, then Flex Cable #3 would be the next part to try. If that is not it, then Logic Board.

The most fragile part in this complex of parts is the Flex Cable #3, then the #3 connector piece, then the Speaker itself. But with sparks flying who knows.

Good luck,

Brad

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

The ear speaker is just a simple magnet, there isnt anything to "short" out on that, I would check the #3 ribbon if you're having ear speaker issues. Does the proximity sensor work?

by

what is the purpose of the very very fine copper wire wound round the speaker then? I would have thought that this could easily be damaged by power surge..

by

The speaker is like a magnet. Sound is induced by electrical current to move the membrane, but there isnt anything to actually "short." Its like when you wrap a copper wire around a screwdriver and connect the leads to a battery. You basically create an electromagnet.

by

so looks like you are in agreement with what Brad stated..

by

If a current surge passed through a hair fine wire it wouldn't damage it? Prevent the electromagnet from receiving power?

by

Show 4 more comments

Add a comment

The speaker isn't damaged. It is the #3 ribbon cable. You can get one off ebay for $7 or less and make sure you search for US only. This cable is a little tricky to install because the metal clip that hold it in is quite sturdy. Bending it a little bit is okay, but make sure you bend it back. That is really the only thing I can think of that got damaged. I highly doubt it is your logic board. But I guess there is a small chance it could be. Hope that helps!

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Ignat Robert will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 1,480