0

Majesty

cloning hard drive

Was thinking of upgrading hard-drive and using CCC or superduper. Do these programs also copy over the OS? I have snow leopard and used my friends family pack to install snow and i no longer have access to the CD.

1

mister790

Carbon Copy Cloner also lets you copy the entire hard drive, creating a bootable clone. You can also use the program to copy just parts of the drive if you want. I've used the program multiple time during upgrades and haven't had any problems.

It seems to have hundreds of boxes to check off, is there a simple and easier way to copy entire drive instead of checking every single box one at a time?

Majesty,

Nevermind, I see the copy everything in the drop down box, simple enough. Thanx guys.

Majesty,

Cool. One thing to add -- if you want to make a bootable drive, be sure the drive you're cloning to is formatted in a way that's compatible with your computer. For an Intel Mac, that would be the GUID (rather than the Apple Partition scheme).

mister790,

1

QEII Student IT

Yes, every single file on your hard drive (including hidden ones) are transferred in SuperDuper.

(As I have no experience of CCC I cannot say)

QE, do u prefer SuperDuper? and why?

Majesty,

as a long time user of SuperDuper I'll just add my vote to it for cloning your hard disk. Another reason I highly recommend it is that if you ever have a question or problem, the developer is *extremely* responsive and helpful, even if you're just using the free version.

bac,

Thanks bac, as I say I have no experience with CCC so I can't compare them.

QEII Student IT,