Skip to main content

The PSP 300x was released in the U.S. on the 15th of October 2008. Repair of this device requires only common tools.

34 Questions View all

What screw do I need to remove the top screw?

So I bought a PSP 3000 from Japan and I am trying to get the front panel off.

5/7 screws are standard phillip 000. The other 2 are some other type.

Block Image

Block Image

Photo isn't clear but I can see 6 vertices that form a star shape. The screw size is very small. A lot smaller than phillip 000. Even my flathead 1.5 won't fit.

Can anyone please tell me if they know this screw type?

Answer this question I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

2 Answers

Most Helpful Answer

It is called a Torx screw. They are usually labelled T5 for a size 5 Torx, or TR10 for a size 10 Torx with a indent in the middle for special security screws.

It is found in many consumer products, especially laptops, where they do not want you to remove components or casings. From the looks of it, it is probably between a size T5 and a T3.

I have since sold my Japanese PSP due to financial issues, so I can no longer tell you the exact size. But iFixIt does sell a kit with the available sizes found here: Mako Driver Kit - 64 Precision Bits

Mako Driver Kit - 64 Precision Bits Image


Mako Driver Kit - 64 Precision Bits


Was this answer helpful?

Score 1
Add a comment

I have the ifixit kit with the t4 and t5 bits and both are too big. So am guessing it's a t3.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Anthony Siharath will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 4

Past 7 Days: 29

Past 30 Days: 77

All Time: 2,809