Repairs for a broad range of sound generating equipment including speakers and speaker components.

Battery Model Number for Sylvania SP234 Bluetooth Speaker?

I need the model number of the battery in a Sylvania SP234 Bluetooth Speaker. The battery ratings are 600mAh / 3.7V. and that's all that is printed on it. Sylvania / Curtis Int. customer service has not been able to supply this info. or a replacement battery.

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

Hi @mikeadams ,

If you can't find the correct replacement battery try the following to hopefully find a compatible battery for the speaker:

Measure the dimensions of the battery in mm (millimetres), i.e Height (depth) and Width and Length

Then write the results as in the following example,

H = 5mm , W = 60mm, L = 85mm , the resultant figure is 506085.

The first 2 digits are the height and the convention for battery sizing is that there is a decimal point between them, not shown. The next 2 digits are the width and the last 2 are the length, all in mm. Obviously if the battery has a measurement longer than 99mm then it is three digits.

Once you have the number search online for a 3.7V 600mAH (insert number) LiPo battery and check the results. If there are none go for one that is as close to (just under) the measurements as possible especially with regard to the height.

Getting a battery which has the same (or just under) dimensions as the original will ensure that it will physically fit into the speaker

Ensure that the voltage rating of 3.7V is the same. The capacity (mAH) doesn't matter if it is greater as this means that the speaker will stay on for longer, but it also means that it will take longer to charge.

Hopefully this makes sense and is of some help

Thanks Jayeff, this is great info. I will save it.

I do have a question regarding the terminals, if I found one that was the right size, what about the terminals matching up?

I actually found that the Sylavnia SP234 looks like a clone, or visa-versa, of an Aduro BeeBop Portable Wireless 10W Bluetooth Speaker sold on Amazon. I posted my question and got a reply from a customer within an hour. The battery is a Nokia BL-5C or similar.

So much for Sylvania's No-Help Whatsoever Line:

"On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 9:24 AM, customerservice <customerservice@curtisint.com> wrote:

Hi Michael,

sorry for the inconvenience.

battery is not available.

you may try to search in the web by the model #.

TKS"

THE MODEL # was what I was asking for... since 12Mar2018, over a month and a half ago. 4 of 5 phone calls and 6 emails for what should have been a simple answer.

There's a lesson here:

Do Not Buy any battery product without checking to see if you can replace the battery (you need the battery model number).

Thank you again for your help,

Mike.

Hi @mikeadams ,

I don't know your particular model speaker so I wasn't sure what the battery looked like.

My experience with a couple of speakers that I've fixed for friends and family (I'm apparently the 'go to' person with electrical /electronics problems) is that they were of the 'soldered' in type, having either 2 or 3 wires coming from the battery, not as you've described (Nokia BL-5C), the plug in type battery as found in now older model or cheaper end mobile phones.

With regard to connections, usually the circuit board has the +ve and -ve terminal marked on it where the battery is connected and therefore the red wire from the battery went to +ve and the black to -ve. If there was a 3rd wire (or 'sense' wire) for the battery it was usually a white wire. (or if not marked, take a picture of the old battery wiring connections before removing the battery). If the 'generic' replacement battery didn't have the sense wire (a lot don't) and the battery didn't start to charge when connected to the charger, then this usually could be overcome by connecting the "sense" wire connection point on the circuit board to Earth ( or to the black wire connection point) via a 10K Ohm resistor to fool the Battery Management circuit into thinking that a battery was there and to allow for charging. Care needs to be taken if you do this that you remember to disconnect the charger when fully charged to prevent any problems.

In your case if it is a plug in type battery as you mentioned then it will only connect in the one way and hopefully should line up. There usually is markings on the battery denoting the +ve and -ve connections which should line up with the (hopefully) markings on the circuit board.

Michael Adams will be eternally grateful.