Released September 16, 2016. Models A1661, A1784, and A1785. Available in 32, 128, or 256 GB configurations in Rose gold, gold, silver, black, jet black, and (Product)Red.

Press home button to upgrade (broken home button)

Hello

I googled everything & everywhere but couldn't find an answer.

I have iPhone 7 Plus stuck at press home to upgrade screen, home button is broken. I tried pressing power + Volume down. Then tried connecting iTunes, that says enter passcode on phone to connect. Latest iOS.

Advise a solution please. Reply soon.

If this button is repairable or not?

IPHONE 6 Plus upgraded IOS from 9 to 12 and I was presented with "Press Home Button to Upgrade" and my Home button had not been working for some time. Did have AssistiveTouch virtual Home Button but that was not responding. This worked for me as I had read another article where it had worked. I cleaned my home button with vinegar and an ear bud as I didn't have any isopropyl alcohol. Tried my Home Button again, didn't immediately work so I kept clicking on the Home Button in a circular motion then the Pass-code screen appeared for the very first time. Entered my code and the upgrade completed successfully.

I know this wont work for everybody but it might help, I had spent several days trying all sorts of given solutions including software tools. I have turned on automatic updates now so hopefully I wont need the physical Home Button again.

not working on my phone

SKIP THE UPGRADE

Save by fixing with an all-in-one kit.

Shop iPhone Fix Kits

SKIP THE UPGRADE

Save by fixing with an all-in-one kit.

Shop iPhone Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

I FOUND THE FIX! After a successful update or restore, plug the device into itunes, then set up as new ipad. Go to accessibility, then put voice over on. This will allow you to double click the “press home to open” and continue the setup process!

You genius. This should be marked as the top answer. The other answer tells you how to get assisitive touch but you can't bypass the upgrade screen to go to the settings. I would advise people to reset the phone first though (hold power and vol down button until the screen says connect to itunes). Please upvote this answer everyone.

I'd like to say thank to you.. managed to get into home screen after restore using Voice Over.

I have iPhone 6 with broken home button After done updating, my phone was stucked at Press Home to Upgrade. I've plugged into iTunes but nothing happened. What can I do?

My iTunes isn’t recognizing the phone. It did before, and it does my other phone. But since this “Press home to upgrade” came up, iTunes does nothing.

Help!

@clevelandh did you get to fix it? I have the same situation here. My iTunes asks me to enter the passcode on iphone to connect with it but all I have is the white screen. How to restore my iphone again?

I manage to resolve the problem :)

1. conect the Iphone with i-tunes
  2. Press power + Volume down and hold it until i-tunes will recognize Iphone and ask you to restore or update Iphone
  3. I press restore and i-tunes start to dawnload the software
  4. After finish the dawnload I press power + volumen down again and hold it until again i-tunes asked you the same question .. figure 2
  5. Click restore and i-tunes will start to restore your Iphone to factory settings
  6. Once done, asked me again to press home button - “Hello - press home button to continue” (which doesn’t work) so I switch phone off and turn it on again… then I manage to set it like new Iphone
  7. Once done this set HOME BUTTON on TOUCHSCREEN -> go to Settings - General > Accessibility , Scroll down to the section labeled INTERACTION and tap on AssistiveTouch (ON) .

That's what I said in my post lol.

i connect my iphone with itunes but itunes cant detect my phone. how i going to follow your solution?

I’ve just done that and it’s asking me to check if iTunes Is updated on the phone but how can I check if I can’t get into the phone

You have to make sure A.) if using WIndows PC, your USB drivers are all up to date usually done in Windows Update automatically, but go to control panel/hardware & devices/Device Manager/USB *right click/update drivers B.) you're using a MFi cert. or original Apple cable (some work some don't) C.) your version of iTunes is completely up to date; if once you've done this, you're still not recognizing the phone connection in iTunes, follow the restore process for your particular device and unfortunately, you'll end up having to restore the device and if your data isn't saved in the cloud or a recent backup in iTunes hasn't been done, you're SOL as far as your personal data goes. However, the restore process when finished will prompt the screen in iTunes that either a.) requires your activation lock info to proceed or b.) Set up as new iPhone or Restore from Backup (if any are available it'll list backups available). At this point, you can Set up as New iPhone.

BTW I tried this method... several times... it did not work for me. Every time I try to power off and on, it comes back to "press home to setup". However, the Set up as new iphone once restore process is complete, go to bottom of screen and click on Accessibility Options in iTunes. Turn on Voice Over. Then triple tap the top middle of the screen and it bypasses the need for pressing home button. And, one more thing, you'll wanna turn OFF automatic updates if on because this will keep happening to you the next time it does an update that requires press home button to continue after update is installed. So you're gonna wanna get used to updating through iTunes and even backup via iTunes occasionally in addition to the cloud.

if you can go into settings go to general, then accessabilty, then assistive touch and turn it on and it should give you an on screen home button

Problem is that the phone was updated probably via iTunes with passcode enabled.

Only way to get around that with a broken home button is to restore the phone resulting in user data on the phone getting wiped.

dependent on ios could a non original home button not be used to get past that

@benjamen50

Thanks for help. Can you pls explain how to restore it? I can't bypass "press home button to upgrade". Will be much appreciated.

Yes, actually i bought it yesterday and tried to update it from a backup thru iTunes.

@tech_ni thanks daniel. I can't really pass the screen "press home to upgrade". If I can bypass that, I can even live with assistive touch. Someone sold to me yesterday claiming that it can be replaced in $100.

Download 3Utools from 3u.com, install then open it.

Plug iPhone in. Go to Flash & JB Tab, select flash and keep user data unchecked. It'll download firmware then once it's downloaded restore your phone to you to latest iOS version.

Image here: http://prntscr.com/jbkfqg

The home button it's self is not generally repairable.

Is this after a screen replacement?

I was transferring a backup of old iPhone through iTunes and ended up "press home to upgrade" screen. Before that, button was broken but I was able to use through assisted touch. Do you have any clue please?

Are you saying that you need to press the home button but you can't as it's broken and that you can't use assistive touch because it's not active?

If so then try clicking the power button 5 times quickly, then press cancel, this may or may not help, or try someone else's screen with home button so it actives the assistant home button.

It didn't work. :(

Maybe best to use some one else's screen and home button then so you can turn the assistive touch on then.

My home button does not work after a screen replacement. They said I need to update my software in order for it to work again, is that true?

If none of this helps and you’re still stuck on press home to upgrade, try to just remove the sim card than put another sim in, it will take you to wifi setting to activate your phone. From there you can set up as normal.

Does the phone have to be powered off or on?

Thanks a million,, this worked perfectly for me 5 stars friend

damnn!!!! you are a hero. Thanks a lot!!!

You can buy this handy device that acts as an external home button. I’ve used that lifesaver to bypass “press home to upgrade” on iPhones that have broken home buttons. From there on you can just use AssistiveTouch as an on-screen home button. Or, you can keep using the adapter as your home button in the future if you wish.

thanks I bought one of these adapters and I was able to get past "press home to upgrade" with it

I bought one of those and it hasn’t worked did u fix the problem?

Does this external home work for iPhone 6 plus' running ios 12?

i tried this device , but i doesn't work at all , and one more thing , the assistive touch is there but it doesn't work as well ((((

If you are restoring your phone from a backup & you have a home buttong issue, do the following; Before you backup up the phone enable voice over through the accessibility menu.

The assistive touch option does not work when you are stuck on the press home to upgrade screen. The voice over option allowed me to click on the home to upgrade then double tap to continue. Worked for me.

I had the same problem and finally figured it out.

# Have the phone on

1. Plug it into your computer with iTunes open.
  2. Press and hold the volume down button
  3. While doing step 3 press and hold the power button.
  4. Once screen is black keep holding the volume down button yet let go of the power button.
  5. The computer should recognize the devise within 10 seconds.
  6. Update using iTunes.

My home button is bad and when I put in my password it goes to a white screen showing"press home to recover" and my assistive touch is not working on that screen

nope doesn't work but thx

I gave up. I was stuck in “upgrade…” white screen and my home button wasn’t working. Also, reiboot or itunes couldn’t identify my phone. I went to an alternative repair store and they enforced DFU with a little machine pluged in my phone. I forgot the name. They didnt even charged me.

Glad you eventually got it fixed, though it must have been a frustrating procedure.

Turn off iPhone. When turning on, connect to computer, it will open iPhone recovery mode on iTunes, and let you update or restore iPhone. the screen on iPhone will change from "press home to upgrade" to iTunes logo

pressing power + Volume down when turning on and connect to iTunes. Didn't work the update, but it restored to original settings.

If there's no important data on it, restore it, once that's done you can click on the iPhone logo, pass the “get started" screen so the iPhone storage and everything pops up, you can turn on the voice option and unlock it from there, tap once on the “press home button to unlock" then double tap it. That's how I got passed it on my iPhone 7. Restored to blank then set up afterwards. Maybe upload your backup to the cloud so you can just use it after? Just don't let the phone timeout and you'll be fine. My first choice was to turn on assistive touch.

I have had the same problem. I have an after market screen with a broken home button. When attempting a software update, it prompts you to press HOME button after it powers back on but doesn’t allow you to use the Assistive Touch (virtual home button) or touch screen, leaving you with major anxiety.

I was able to press power button and volume down while plugging into computer… THEN passcode comes up but you still can’t use touch screen, so I hit power button to clear / refresh the screen and WALLAH, suddenly Assistive Touch was enabled after screen refreshed and then I was able to enter passcode and continue finishing update.

A serious pain but this method works for me on my Apple iphone 7 plus.

You're saying you just pressed the power button to turn the screen on and off and then it worked?

ebay sell iphone 7/8 (JC version 3 home button ) which works via bluetooth but needs small bridge fitted,,,there is also a final version which doesnt need bluetooth or the bridge fitted

For those who don’t know how to restore your iPhone to allow yourself to put on Voice Over to bypass the “Press home button to upgrade”.

Plug your iPhone to iTunes and try that way, if it requires that the iPhone be unlocked you can download Reiboot and from there you can manually restore and update it from your computer. When you restore it, it will say “press home to open”. You are going to hold the lock button to restart your phone. After you restart it, it will bypass that screen. then set up as new iPhone/iPad on your computer. Go to accessibility, then put voice over on. This will allow you to double click the “press home to open” and continue the setup process!

I have problem with my iphone 6s , my screen shows “press home to upgrade’’ and my home button dont work , i tried literally everything , itunes and reiboot app cant recognize my iphone . nothing helps , please help me ;(

I'm also have problem with my iphone 6 , my screen shows “press home to upgrade’’ and my home button dont work. if you already get the solution please share...thx

Me too. Its unbelieveble.

U will need to get a home button that plugs in. I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/MaximalPower-iPho...

I have also same problem with my iphone 6, my screen shows “press home to upgrade’’ and my home button dont work, i tried literally everything, if someone already have solution, please share, thx

Hi Guys, I managed to make my iPhone 7 work again from the “Press Home to Upgrade” screen while the home button is broken. I tried many times with the restoration and update so I’m not sure how it happened and not sure the steps below will 100% work for you.

I have a Mac running OS X 10.15.4 and an iPhone 7. iTunes is no longer with the latest OS X . So, I used Finder to do all these steps.

Here is what I did:

1. Plug iPhone (showing “Press Home to Upgrade” ) to the Mac
  2. Long Hold Volume Down & Power Buttons-> iPhone will be shown in Folder which means the iPhone is in Recovery Mode
  3. In Finder -> Select iPhone -> Update (I’m not quite sure if I updated the phone successfully or not)
  4. Put the phone in Recovery Mode again -> Open Finder -> Select iPhone -> Restore iPhone to the Original Settings and Latest iOS
  5. After “Restore” -> Turn on the phone -> Finder -> iPhone -> Configure Accessibility -> Use Voice Over -> Now you can double tap the words to “slide to open” your iPhone.
  6. In Finder -> Backups -> Restore Backup
  7. After “Restore Backup” you should see the setup screen like factory reset, but not the “Press Home to Upgrade” screen, and the Voice Over and Assitive Touch are still there, and the data is restored back the phone.

Hope it helps.

hello sir please to help me my phone can’t press button home because press home to upgrade.

I hope that you can help me.

Hi everyone. I had the same problem with an iphone 6 that had a home button that wasn’t working. I downloaded and installed ReiBoot. Launched the app, plugged in the phone that was stuck at the ‘click home to upgrade screen’; clicked on ‘enter recovery mode’' and boom! Just like that the phone entered recovery mode. After that the phone was recognised by my Mac and I updated the iOs and after it was done I then used a backup I had made on my Mac prior to the factory reset and restored the phone which installed all apps and data.

how do you click “enter recovery mode”? I have an iphone 5 and can’t enter recovery mode without pressing the home button... Reiboot still doesn’t recognize the device

You need to make a backup of your phone to iTunes with the screen home button activated. When you use this backup you will see the screen home button active when it asks you to press home button, just press the screen home button and away you go. If you haven’t got a backup log someone else’s phone into your account and make a backup from that one after activating the screen home button, you can of course use your own backup to that phone activate screen home button and resave, of course making sure your mates was backed up first.

ihtxami will be eternally grateful.