Repair guides and support for your LG TV.

LG TV - powers on, but black screen after LG logo, backlight is on

Hi guys,

A few days ago my TV screen suddenly went black and I don't quite know what to do.

Basically, if I turn it on the LG logo will appear for about a second or so and then the screen goes black. although backlight stays on. The only button on the remote that does anything is the on/off one.

Called up 2 tv repair shops and both told me almost straight away that it sounds like the panel is dead and I need to basically replace the whole screen (a $3,000 repair), which I don't quite believe.

When I took the TV off the wall and tried turning it on again a few days later - it worked fine for maybe 10 seconds and then the screen went black again.

Maybe there is a loose connection somewhere or something.

Any ideas? I hope there's something I could try before I throw it away.

The model is LG 70" UH635T, I could find it in the list so had to choose a random LG model when posting this question

My LG 55 TV turn on, show the LG symbol for 2-3 seconds then goes to black screen/shut downs. Anyone know if this is the power supply or main board. I have sound through the surround sound but not TV.

Stan what was the solution? did you manage to fix your TV? I am having the same problem

Mine just went too!….The same %#*@ problem!!!

Mine went out too. Haven't found a solutions

Hi guys,

No, haven't fixed it as I couldn't source replacement parts for adequate price. The TV is just sitting in my garage at the moment.

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

@crashxxx backlight on without video is usually a main board problem you did not tell us if you get any sound. You need to check out all your video inputs and see if that changes anything. If it does not remove the back of the beast and take a look at all the boards for any obvious damage (leaking or domed looking caps etc.). Post pictures of your boards so we can see what you see. Use this guide Adding images to an existing question for that. The problem could be the panel but it could also be the power board or the main board.

Hi There,

Took the back cover off and uploaded the images of all 3 boards.

Turned the TV on after a month or so and it worked again for about 10 min. and then the same issue. I noticed a few more things:

- There is a green LED LD701 on the power board that starts blinking when the screen goes black (blinks 5 times)

- The red standby light blinks 3 times when I I turn the TV on and before backlight turns on

I was thinking of trying replacing all 3 boards (starting with the power board) to see if it fixes anything. Sounds like a better option than buying a new tv... not sure if I should really start with the power board though.

Thanks for your help!

@crashxxx does the sound remain when the image turns black? this sounds more like a main board issue than a power board issue.

I was playing a movie via USB stick. As soon as the screen goes black - there is no sound. Basically the only thing that is on is the backlight. It is also weird that if I don't touch the TV for a week - it will turn on again and work fine for another 10min or so. I also realised that there was a thunderstorm when the TV died and on the same day my power board died (unfortunately, the tv was connected directly into the wall socket so there was no surge protection). Not sure if this info is useful. It feels like there is some sort of protection mechanism that kicks in and shuts the TV down.

@crashxxx all of this "no sound. Basically the only thing that is on is the backlight." and" It is also weird that if I don't touch the TV for a week - it will turn on again and work fine for another 10min or so" sounds like a bad component on the main board. It comes on for awhile until possibly the failed component heats up enough to quit working. That'll be the green board in your pictures. Remove the EMI shield and lets see what is going on under there.

Hi.. Did you fix your tv finally?

Hello its either the backlight or the inverter circuit that lights the backlight usually on the power supply. Try to change the power supply before dealing with the lights.

I have an LG 60UH6035 for about 3 years now. Once I remove the item from the box, I placed it on a TV stand in my room since then. Everything worked perfectly until I come back from vacation one day to turn it on and the screen completely turned black. I heard the sound for the first couple times I turned it off and on but now I don’t hear sound anymore. Before sending it to a repair shop that quoted me $700-$1200, Should I just replace the motherboard ($177.95) https://encompass.com/item/10938014/LG/E... before ordering the T-Con Board ($47.95) https://encompass.com/item/10938009/LG/E.... I think $247 beats a $1200 witch is what I paid for, for the entire TV.

How did you fix this because mine is doing the same exact thing and I have no idea how to fix it. I’ve looked it up and I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere. I don’t know if it’s something that I can fix myself with a hard reset using the buttons on the TV or if it’s going to have to have the backlights completely replaced.

Stan will be eternally grateful.