Skip to main content

MacBook Pro models with 13" displays

9049 Questions View all

Tilting screen causes image to turn negative (Video)

Hi there ifixits!

I have a problem with my MacBook screen. Sometimes when I tilt it or wear it on my lap so that the screen moves ever so slightly the screen image turns negative and flickers quite a lot.

The problem does not present itself when connecting an external monitor through the Mini DisplayPort. I also took a peek inside to see if any wires had come loose, which they hadn't. I did however only take away the lower case so it's quite possible I was not able to see all wiring.

(image) (normal, duh)

(image) (negative)


(It's not Ctrl-Alt-Cmd-8 even though it may look similar.)

Hopefully I've provided enough information, if not, let me know!

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score -1
Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

Nice pictures and video, thank you. Since the problem does not present itself when connecting an external monitor: Many times bad video cables on laptops give the same symptoms of bad LCDs. The biggest tell as to which one is faulty is if movement causes the symptoms. If the only time you see these symptoms is by moving the screen at the hinge and you can put it on a stable surface such as a desk with no screen movement and a good picture remains good, 95% chance your problem is your video cable (the wires are broken internally or 1 of the connectors is not seated properly). The other 5% is a loose component or bad solder joint on the board attached to your LCD that the video cable is plugged into. If these symptoms occur while the LCD and laptop are on a stable surface with no movement then the chances are it is your LCD. I don't have physical access to your laptop. I have to trust your senses and judgment. From what I saw in your video I would say the video cable/wires is the cause or the problem. I do not see your cable among our parts here at ifixit. I have found them being sold here and here.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2


I found the cable cheaper yet here:


+ nice explanation


Thank you for your speedy answer, I was theorizing that it might be the video cable. The problem doesn't occur when on a flat stable surface so that hopefully rules out any issues with the LCD. Thank you very much for looking up prices for the part needed as well, I'll have to look further into that.


Add a comment

Add your answer

Gustav will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 3,818