Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

Microphone not working on iPhone 7. (Phone Calling and Siri)

So I have an iPhone 7, and it has never given me doubts until a few days ago.

Here's the story:

I rely on Siri a lot, asking questions like "What games are being played in the NBA tonight", and "Call (Person's name.) Just recently, when I open up Siri it does't let me talk or seem like it hears me. When I used to open Siri, at the bottom of my screen I would see the colorful, wavy line showing when I talk, but now it just shows me a colorful circle, and wont let me click it so it can hear me. I decided it was probably just a bug, and that restarting (holding down power button then turning back on) my phone would work. Now, I have done that multiple times, and it hasn't worked. I decided to just let it be, and I would talk to my dad about it that night.

But, later that day when I tried to call someone, I heard the ringing, but when they answered, I couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear me. They got the phone call, but still, we couldn't hear each other. When I told my dad about it later on, we tested the calling thing a few more times, always with the same result. (Happens with Android and Apple)

Upon further examination, I saw that when I called, I noticed that the speaker button was grayed/faded out. It wouldn't let me press speaker phone.

I also was curious if a "Hard Reboot" (holding the sleep button and the volume down button) would work, and all results were the same. Thanks for your time!

-Wilder

My phone had a similar issue and it was annoying because I couldnt make any calls! Apparenty if you put some pressure near where the chip is located you could temporarily make it work or if you need to call someone immediately you can use headphones or a bluetooth headset according to this article.

http://www.fixstop.com/blog/iphone-7-stu...

Solved the problem!! Thanks to another post!

Restart your phone at least 5 times and keep testing the microphone or try calling out. It just worked for my wife’s phone so I felt obliged to help everyone else out who has to deal with apples crap.

Initially, we got the same issues as everyone else did and tried every possible fix. The speaker or microphone did not work, it took forever to reboot up.

With this fix, it started working after the fifth restart! $free.99!! Hope it works for anyone!

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

It sounds as if you have a "Classic" Audio IC issue that will require microsoldering for repair. Look up Iphone 7 audio IC and C-12 jumper on Google and Youtube and you will find a goldmind of videos showing the repair needed for your phone. You can find a reputable Repair shop locally that can perform Microsoldering repairs by googling it or simply search here on Ifixit in the business listings for a repair tech that can perform a "No Fix/No Fee" mail in repair for you.

There are also some temp fixes that might be able to help. One suggestion was to use a bluetooth headset for calls.

This article helped me

Fixstop.com/blog/iphone-7-speaker-grayed-out-and-microphone-not-working-solution/

I just reset my device and my audio microphone is working perfect

im seeing a lot more of this issue on the iphone 7 and 7 plus im starting to think its a signature issue with them I restored one and started working fine for 5 minutes and the same thing happened. It has some issue with the audio if you have warranty take it to apple and get it swapped out if not contact ipad rehab or sts telecom.

I’m also facing this problem, microphone stop working after update 12.1.2.

I can’t make /receive calls, Facetime, any in-app calls eg FB messenger, whatsapp, cannot voice record, recording video has no sound.

Not under warranty already and I’ve tried hard reset, reset network settings etc.

Hi. Did you manage to fix the problem somehow? I have the exact same problem

Having the same problem!

Also have the same issue.

It’s been a month of this crap for me. I’ve literally tried EVERYTHING every forum says to do and NOTHING. I haven’t been able to resolve this issue at all. I’m beginning to think Apple does this on purpose to get people to just buy another phone. Literally nothing worked to fix this.

That’s exactly right, they do this on purpose. Check out this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/apple-tell-appl...

thanks for the answer. our shop is beginning to see a surge of issues related to this audio IC, as well. courtesy of technician Leon Stacey..

https://youtu.be/yvjqCwrs3OU

my iphone 7 which is on 11.4.1 has the greyed out speaker. It has 71 days left on the warranty, and i have an appointment with a certified apple repairer. I am going to try and get repair or replacement

We’re you able to get a repair or replacement?

My screen has a small crack in the corner, so they said i would have to pay £159, to get it replaced. I have got the cash together, and am going back on tuesday. They did say that it would be replaced if i pay the £159, so overall i don't think it is too bad.

Apple disgust me. For a company to treat is customers like this, they really don't deserve any in the first place.

I will NEVER buy any iphone again. I've now swapped over to android and I have to say it's really good. I can still use my icloud email address on it and now I just upload my photos straight to my hard drive. No more icloud pestering me for extra money.

It's just getting used to a different look but once your used to it, it's great. I prefer it now.

So really I should say thank you apple for stopping me from being a life long customer of over priced very expensive phones.

Let me know how your change over went?

The hurdle is the first two weeks, once past this it all becomes second nature again so perseverance pays.

They are being disgusting

You can cut on Apple iPhones all you want .I switched to a brand new Samsung s7 edge and after all it is a phone, the microphone didn't,t work half the time during phone calls .I sold it bought a used iPhone 6s and it is faster than the galaxy s7 edge and the battery life is better.

i have same problem, but when i record video from camera and face time(Video and audio) it works. i tried with normal call, call with whatsApp the mic is not working properly, seems like mic is covered something. do you have any idea?

I also have same issue. Do you found any fix for it

Guys we can stop this issue, Apple is at fault.

Just called Apple. Was told they are no other reports of this issue therefore they won’t offer a warranty exception. I spent hours on the phone with Apple and was told there is nothing they can do for me! So angry with Apple!

Signed - I have the same issue now for 3 days , its highly frustrating

Wow, of course they’d say that. However if you go on their forums/discussion board, you see that thousands of people are going through this problem. Not a small sample size. And that’s only the people that have reported the issue.

thanks for the answer

i have same problem I also was curious if a "Hard Reboot" (holding the sleep button and the volume down button) would work, and all results https://audacity.onl/ https://findmyiphone.onl/ https://origin.onl/

Same exact problem went to apple and they said there gonna charge me 350 to fix it. Then they said they would give me 50 dollars store credit because my camera is scratched in the back :/

Same problem, microphone immediately stop working after update. Contacted apple and was told I had to pay $315 to get stuff changed. And they said it only a handful of people spreading information online over several years that make it look like a lot of people are experiencing problem.

Back when my wife had this issue, I tried everything and anything you can possibly do to make it work. I found out it worked when I removed the SIM card, before resetting the phone, then it would go back to the same broken phone eventually.

Long story short, Apple said it wasn’t not their fault, but told me this issue was anticipated by their engineers but there was nothing they can do?? So we had to purchase a new phone and I’m sure that was apart of their plan all along to force a new buy.

Good luck!

So, here’s how I resolved this. Mine did this like 2 months outside of the 1 year warranty. The first apple store Genius Bar person wasn’t helpful at all and said buy a new phone, it’s a hardware problem, not our issue.

Second person on a different day admitted that for a short time the phones that did this were being replaced, but then apple decided that it wasn’t their problem (like the first person told me). He was very sympathetic though, and told me to call in to customer support and complain, give them the somtory, cry, beg, etc and hope for the best. After quite sometime on the phone and some very real tears of frustration, they agreed to a one time only swap at no charge. Of course part of it was because I did go through all of the hood of trying to fix it with restores and a million other things first. Worth a try.

That’s cool but we shouldn’t have to beg for this. What replacement did they give you?

Sorry, but if this happens, the ONLY fix is via hardware, or a new phone.

The same happened to my IPhone 7. Suddenly, when I was trying to make a call I couldn’t hear and they couldn’t hear me! I did hard reset but the problem still was still there. The service informed me that they can do a repair and change the sound chip ( I am not sure if I use the proper words for the repair) and you can’t do anything else apart from that! It costs about 200€ and takes about 10 days ! They said that it is a common problem to these models and it happens mostly when the mobile reaches the 2 years! Very clever, 2 years = out of warranty!!!! I find that unacceptable and disgusting for such phones! Apple has to take over the responsibilities and stop lying, it is obviously a factory problem!!!

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled upon this issue when attempting to troubleshoot my Iphone 7 Plus. I tried restarting, hard restart, using earpiece.. using speaker mode. None worked. My issue was intermittent where it can work for a short while, and stop working after a while. Using bluetooth headsets worked though.

I am in Singapore, and I googled this symptom with the additional word Singapore behind the search. I found this link: https://lykrepair.com/blog/entry/do-you-...

I contacted them and was quoted SGD 120 to get it fixed. When I arrived at the shop, the person who was before me just had his iphone 7 plus fixed, with the similar problem. It took about 40 minutes to fix. I intend to use my device for at least another year or 2, to justify the high price of the device. Most likely shying away from Apple in the future after this incident.

Wilder Hume will be eternally grateful.