Released April 2010 / 2.4, 2.53 GHz Core i5 or 2.66, 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processors

Can I swap out Hard Drive from old MacBook into new MacBook?

My Macbook Pro just died from liquid spill, but the 500 GB hard drive is unscathed, and all my data is intact. When I get a new Macbook, can I take out it's 500 GB hard drive and replace it with the old one? Would that work?

Would the new laptop start up as if it was the old laptop?

If I can't do that I'll have to transfer everything over manually and sift through all the old files to try to find software keys and serial numbers, etc.

The old drive is currently in an external drive housing and is working fine.

It should work but I'm not sure because you're changing processor types to the i5. You could also use Time Machine to move all your data over. To test if the old hard drive will work, start up holding down the Option key and select the external drive. You can also use something like SuperDuper to clone the old drive.

Great advice! I'll see if the old drive will boot up my loaner duo core 13 MB Pro now.

On the loaner MB Pro my old drive booted up and ran like a champ. Thanks for the great advice.

I wonder if I could bring the old drive to the Apple Store and try it on one of the new i7 quad core MB Pros before I buy....

Even if it won't boot from the old drive (which it probably will) you can still use Time MACHINE TO MOVE YOUR USERS AND APPS.

Yes, this can be done but there are no guarantees the system will boot with your old operating system configuration. However, you may run into an issue if your new system is radically different. If this is the case you may need to rely on backups.

The reason this generally ends up working is Max OS X as a whole is more receptive to a total hardware change compared to Windows. It doesn't work every time but it usually boots in a completely different system more often then it doesn't. As long as the hardware is similar or better then your old machine you generally don't run into an issue doing this. You can't do a PPC->Intel swap but a C2D->Core i series swap is likely to boot without any issues.

If you can, I would get the system working well enough to do a Time Machine backup and have that as a failsafe. If you can't, the old OS should work well enough to do a Time Machine backup so you can make a backup that can be used on the new system.

That sounds encouraging.

I did this and though it will 'work' by booting up, it ended up being way (way) slower than moving the files/apps over using Time Machine or manually. I'm guessing the drivers or something on the old OS aren't optimized for the new hardware. So essentially don't do it - start from start from scratch or re-install the OS on the old hard drive!

Marshall Hyde will be eternally grateful.