The Canon AE-1 is a 35 mm single-lens reflex (SLR) film camera for use with interchangeable lenses.

Can't change iso because ASA is stuck

I recently buy a AE-1 Program, however the ASA dial is stuck. I made the normal procedure to dial, clicking the button but it is stuck and the dial won't move. You have any advice?! Or the only solution I have is only shoot with 200 film?! :(

Thanks in advance

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like something is jamming it (spilled soda). Here's a good vid on how to take off the speed dial: Fix Old Cameras: AE-1 Top Cover Removal / Battery Door Replacement

Now with the speed dial off you can take the knob apart to bathe it with a good household cleaner.

Do be careful as the ASA linkage (cable and pulleys) to the other side can easily be damaged when you release the tension of the dial.

I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOu-x5St...

Do you know if I only remove the ASA Dial part (min. 1:25), rather than the entire one, I would be able to fix the problem?

Which model of AE-1 do you have the older AE-1 or the newer AE-1P model? They are very different internally.

I have the Program model

The dial is under the rewind knob a much simpler setup. no need to pop the top off. just remove the knob and take the clip off.

Eduardo will be eternally grateful.