Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

iPhone 7 won’t charge past 3%

My iPhone 7 dropped about desk height and it still worked, however the iPhone would only charge to 3% and stop there. Is this a battery problem and should I just replace it?

Chances are something in the charge circuit got damaged from the drop. I doubt it's the battery although it doesn't hurt to open the device to see if the battery is well connected.

If the battery is well connecte, then what can happen after a drop is that some solder joints underneath IC's or other components gets cracked and doesn't make good electrical contact anymore. That would require that it be looked at by a micro-solderer. Please don't add a great iPhone to the e-waste landfill.

But if something cracked, no electricity would be able to pass through, however the iPhone charges even if it’s dead all the way up rob 3%, but stops. I saw a video where a iPhone 6 was stuck on boot loop because the battery only held 1%

Either way, if a new battery doesn't solve it, the entire charge circuit must be troubleshooted by a micro-solderer. It could be a cracked solder ball or a defective component.

I see you guys do repairs. Can we mail globally (From US) and how much would this cost? [Assuming that battery or charge port is replaced and did not fix]

Hi Christian. This is not a forum for soliciting work, we're just here to help DIY fixers. There are several reputable micro-solderers patrolling this forum, including the two who have answered your question. You can also click on my (or Jessa's or anyone's) profile avatar to learn more about my services, at the very least, it can serve as a data point.

Hey there,

I would definitely rule out that the battery became disconnected before doing anything else. The battery conveys battery data to the logic board including charge percentage. Each phone responds differently to a fault in the BATT_SWI data line. With a history of "this was fine until I dropped it" then the most common fault would be a poor connection between the board and the battery. After you've ruled out battery, and determined that this is a logic board problem, then it could be a fault within the tigris chip that 'listens' to the battery data--tigris is a replaceable chip by your local microsolderer, after that this is a pretty open ended problem.

Best of luck!

Jessa

Alright will check with battery connection. The iPhone works when it isn’t plugged in but of course acts like it’s at 3% and will die at the normal speed. Will order a new battery just to test. Thanks for another contemplation.

Apple is still in the 1 billon dollar lawsuit for there batteries if you take it in with this issue they will replace it for you for 30$ and potentially if theres no water damage and depending on how old it is give you a new one. MAKE AN APPOINTMENT APPLE SUCKS WITH WAIT TIME

Christian Lapitan will be eternally grateful.