Second generation multi-touch, wireless Mouse released by Apple on October 14, 2015. Model A1657.

Fixing Magic Mouse 2 which stopped working on some normal surfaces

Up until yesterday everything was fine, my Apple Magic Mouse 2 was working correctly on all surfaces.

Suddenly, the Magic mouse has stopped working on most regular surfaces and almost all fabrics (moving the mouse may move the cursor a little bit on these surfaces).

It does work on a transparent nylon, a very soft fabric (EDIT: 100% polyester) and on a leather couch and a specific part of my bare knee. (everything else like touch gestures works).

What is the reason for this? the optical sensor?

I already tried cleaning the optical sensor with a cloth, connecting it to another mac and removing the mouse preferences files with no luck.

Thanks :)

BTW, the battery is also showing a constant 100% charge.

It started about one day before this problem so maybe both problems are related.

I have the same problem with my Magic Mouse 2. Tried cleaning the sensors with the Qtip, tried with other macs, but no luck.[br]

September 2018

Same prob here. Cleaning didn't help at all.

I tried the dropping on hard surface and now the sensor detects rough surfaces better, but it still does not work on all surfaces.

Had same problem and was looking for a replacement battery. Saw this thread and slammed the mouse on my desk a few times. It's crazy, but it now works again.

Aw man, 4 months I've been using my old plug-in mouse, as well as my magic. Slammed it a couple times, now it works!? :D Thanks folks! :)

Most Helpful Answer

All this happened to me, so I searched around, none of the sensor stuff worked etc. I saw a thread where two people were in the same boat and dropped it on a hard surface, and it fixed so I decided what the !&&*. Lol I cannot believe this worked but my mouse is actually fixed now, gave it a nice 4 foot drop onto concrete. Back to normal somehow.

Wow, I was ready to buy a new mouse, $79 plus tax, your trick worked, mouse is working again! Thanks for your post.

Droped it from 3 feet height and It worked. Who would have thought?

Thanks.

could not believe, but did work for me too, drop it..!!

wow that frickin worked!!!!!

Well.... I guess I have to try that now... My mouse only works on dark/black surfaces.

If that works I'll try it on my son...

If you look at the bottom of the mouse you'll see a small window in the shell and inside you'll see two lenses. The smaller one is an IR light source and the larger is the photo detector array. Basically, a grid of light is projected onto the surface and as the light is disturbed the sensor is able to tell which way you are moving the mouse (some very cool stuff is going on here!)

Anyways... you likely have some dirt on the lenses or you likely have a weak battery. Carefully take a dry cotton swab (Q-Tip) and give it a quick wipe (spinning the swab) see if that solves it. You may need to check your cable and connection that you are in fact charging the mouse.

Thanks so much Dan! :)

Just before the problem occurred, I had 1% charge so I charged the mouse, not enough time to get to 100% but it showed a constant 100% ever since.

Maybe both problems have the same root problem of battery, I will update you as soon as I'll have something new, thanks again! :)

EDIT: I think it isn't charging because it thinks it already has a 100% battery charge.

My mouse stopped tracking on a mouse pad, and eventually on a black wood desktop. Being wary of damaging my year old mouse, I read further about using compressed air on the lenses. I had already tried wiping them, which did not work. As a photographer, I always try my hand blower

before air on possibly sensitive equipment. It worked.

I removed the administrator’s mouse from the settings and added back and it solved the problem!

Worked for me too. I did not have to re-pair it after the removal, just had to turn the mouse back on and it instantly appeared in my bluetooth system prefs. I think I had to click on "add".

I swear of god, my mouse had the exact problem and after i smacked it on the back of my magic keyboard it works on all surfaces again. the most bizarre fix but it works.

Slamming the mouse down on a hard surface worked for me. The problem originated after leaving the mouse hooked up to USB for charging overnight while computer was shut down. After booting up in the morning mouse no longer “connected” and would not connect until physicality applied i.e. slamming it down on a hard surface; however, this did nothing to make it work on my mouse pad… only hours later after having read about someone, Rey J, slamming it down again, then it worked. Mind you I had tried all other ways through bluetooth connecting beforehand. It looks like Apple products need to be given a $@$* kicking now that Tim Cook is CEO!

In order to avoid this 'slamming down' situation, and since I have two of them, as soon as I notice that my admin mouse's charge is near depleted, I will recharge it while using the other mouse. I now avoid recharging when the computer is shut down.

Unbelievable, but it worked for me aswell. But does somebody know what is the ratio behind this strange solution

Would you believe it?

I had the same problem and it fixed when I dropped it from 3 feet height!

I can’t believe that but it works!!!!

Hello everyone,

At last, it has worked for me ! The problem on mine came from the optic sensor. There was dust on it.

In 15 min, the problem was solved.

Unfortunately, it has needed to open the mouse, because the dust was directly on the sensor. But don’t panic, it is far more easy than described by ifixit.

Very easily actually.

• 1st of all, don’t try to unglue the alloy case from the plastic case nor the ultragliss black feet. It is complicated, long and totally useless.
  • Use a plastic tool as it’s shown on step 6. Put it on both side of the mouse, between the lower case in alloy and the the white upper case of the mouse and it will be removed. There are only 4 clips, 2 by side. (Be kind with the clips, they doesn’t need a lot of torque to be removed)
  • After, remove the 2 screw of the rear of the mouse, those with the metal bracket, and remove the connector of the white upper case.

To remove the motherbord :

• Remove the 4 screw of the front (3 + 1 with a metal spring),
  • Remove the mother board and unplug the power connector.

To clean the sensor :

• on the motherbord, remove the 2 plastics parts that protect the sensor : one is transparent with 2 lens, the other is in grey with a little hole.

*

*

• Clean both
  • Now you can access directly to the sensor. To clean it, prefer air.

note : don’t touch it with finger or with cotton, it would be worst.

Now you can reassemble the mouse and try it. I hope it will work also for you.

Where is "... plastic tool as it’s shown on step 6"? Where's "step 6"?

You can find it in the teardown

Sorry my link is in french :

https://fr.ifixit.com/Vue+Éclatée/Magic+...

yo uso una carpeta plastificada y el mouse funciona perfectamente

The same trick worked for me. And it still works. Thank you very much

Cool, I'll see if I can find Gen 1 Magic Mouse teardown for my sensor issues.

did you find a gen 1 magic mouse teardown?

My sensor issue is unresolved after slamming, dropping, blowing air and cotton swabbing. I will open it and attempt to clean the sensor next

I used a can of compressed air and put the nozzle at the sides of the “sensor-hole” and blew air into my magic mouse 2 a few times and now it works again!!

A couple of months ago, it stopped working on my fabric mousepad and it was only usable on my wooden desk. After a while, it was not responding to most surfaces and I was slamming it on my desk often to get it to work again. The compressed air fix was the last thing I could think of. I will keep a couple of those cans in stock from now on!

Hello mbenji

You asked for help

Make sure your devices are charged

To check the battery level of these devices, click the Bluetooth icon in your Mac's menu bar, then select your device by name. If the battery level of any device is low, recharge the device. If the device isn't showing, make sure the device is turned on using the steps outlined above.

So strange, I just dropped my magic mouse and now it works again! Thanks for posting this

mbenji will be eternally grateful.