Repair guides and support for luxury automobiles by Cadillac.

What does the CHECK GAUGES LIGHT indicate?

I have a 2000 Cadillac escalade SUV that recently the check gauges & check engine light turned on and now the SPEEDOMETER & RPM gauges go all the way down to zero and dont work, also the little orange light to let tocar hesitates to take off like I have to give it more gas just to start moving and going up a driveway it will not make it unless I shift to 2nd gear. I'm real *&@!@% off because I just paid $600 bucks to get my tranny rebuilt thinking it would solve the problem but it's still the same #&&&!! WOULD ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA ON WHAT WOULD BE CAUSING THIS?? Now I know it's not the freakin transmission so it would have to be electrical. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

This question was migrated from http://meta.ifixit.com/.

I have the same car and year, and its been doing the same thing. I've taken it in to two different people and still doing the same thing? Did you ever find a solution?

I think I bought your Escalade lol (if you've sold it). I have the exact same thing going on. Have you found out anything at all, since you've posted this?

When you find out what code the "Service Engine Soon" light is, come back here and post it and I will help you.

The Check Gauges lights indicate that something is not right and you need to take action. Just repairing anything probably won't cut it. You need to find out what went wrong before spending a lot of money needlessly. Go to an AutoZone and get a FREE computer diagnostic readout so you know just what needs to be fixed and then fix it.

+ since I am frugal, I like the Autozone referral

I found out exactly what it was. The ignition switch! You can prove it by tapping the module with a screw driver, and your gauges will come back on (when your vehicle is turned on/engine running). It's located inside the steering column, right next to the key cylinder. It's a black square box with wires coming out of it.

Jerry will be eternally grateful.