Released in May 2014, the Chromebook 2 features an 11.6" display, Intel Celeron processor, and a 16GB SSD. Identified by model number XE500C12-K01US.

How can I make the hinge for the Chromebook tighter?

The Chromebook's hinge is very loose and the screen keeps falling whenever set to an angle greater than around 100 degrees relative to the keyboard surface. Is there any way I can tighten the hinge to prevent this from happening?

2 Comments

yes or no becaue this is not good at all

can someone please answer this? because i have the same problem, and i would like to know if there's a way to fix it by myself before having to go get it fixed. thank you!

Most Helpful Answer

Start with tightening the lower chassis screws to see if the issue goes away, since it’s least invasive. That said, it can also be the screws inside the LCD assembly, but the issue is the procedure to tighten those is more invasive, and you need to be careful to avoid damaging the LCD - and watch for tape around the frame that’s used to secure it inside.

In most cases, I’ve also noticed it’s usually caused by the lower chassis screws, so the invasive option is not always needed. Refer to this guide to get to the screws for the hinges. However, if you continue to have issues then it usually is within the LCD assembly. You will need to work slowly if this is needed

If neither of these fixes help, then the hinges are worn out or the plastic broke somewhere. Chromebooks are inherently cheaply built, so it happens more than you think. The problem is shared on "enterprise" or "education" versions too, with the only difference being a bundled management license.

2 Comments:

@nick that seems to be a battery replacement guide.

It's the closest thing I can find that exposes the bottom hinges without getting too invasive.

Are you tech-savvy enough to open it? Sounds like the screws may need tightened, either on the LCD's side or on the mobo side.

You have to tighten bolts on the hinges.

Remove the back cover first and unscrew the screen then remove the hinges.

There is a way to take off the screen frame but you can take it to a repair man!

Alex Le will be eternally grateful.