Sound plays through speakers not through earphone jack?

A friend has a MacBook Pro 13-inch with what seems to be a blown earphone jack. The speakers work and will even stop playing while a earphone jack is plugged in. The signal itself does not seem to be making it to the phone line though. We have confirmed this with multiple sets of head phones, so are pretty sure it is the jack. Any ideas? I know older models had a separate audio circuit, but so far I have not found it online. I will keep looking and report back here. Great site BTW.

See if there is a red light in the audio port which means your digital audio out has switched on. You can insert a plastic toothpick in the hole and try and switch it off. The switch should be at the 3 o'clock position and go towards the 6 o'clock position. Some people also have had luck inserting their headphone jack and pulling out a few times. Another recent report was that inserting the headphone jack and turning it in the hole helped.

I had same issue.

Solution for me was simple in the end. I went to system preferences>sound>output, my output volume had wierdley tuned to mute (i believe after I plugged/unplugged a jack in connected to my stereo & was & tuned to max volume) I un-ticked mute & it worked again.

I have no answer but confirm I have the same problem and that none of the suggested solutions have worked. So where does one go from here?

patmcevoy will be eternally grateful.