Second generation of the Fairphone, made by the social enterprise with the same name. Released in December 2015. Model number: FP2-XCVR

Can't call or send texts, Radio stuck on off

Hello

I've had a problem where I can't use my sim cards.

At first I thought my phone was stuck on airplane mode but that was not the case.

It seems to be a network issue as both my sim cards are affected. And my phone simply states no network.

I can't seem to switch from 4G to 3G or 2G for one. I click the option but it remains fixed on 4G.

When I make phone calls there's a notice that says Radio Off and so the call does not go through. Hence I can't even call fairphone

The one number I could call led to a prompt.

I called the number to try and have the radio switched on but like the 4G option the radio remained fixed on off.

Also my WiFi works fine it's only the mobile network.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Please help

Having the same problem radio off and airplane mode radio off I know it's not in airplane mode I know how to turn the radio off I have hard reset phone still no luck I don't know this one. I am able to use Wi-Fi internet.

Most Helpful Answer

Hi @dkwene ,

Try starting the phone in safe mode to see if perhaps a downloaded app is causing the problem.

Take heed of the "Please Note" near the top of the page.

Hi @dkwene ,

Try inserting a different known working SIM card which uses the same network provider as your SIM cards and see if it works OK. Check if your card(s) work in a different known working same network phone. Basically swap SIM cards between two phones.

If it still doesn't work try a factory reset and then check if it works OK.

Be aware that a factory reset will erase all your data and downloaded apps, it will restore the phone to its' factory default condition. It will be like when you first bought it.

Before you perform a factory reset, backup the phone first using the phone's backup feature. That way if the reset solves the problem you can restore the phone, with all your data etc, from the backup that you made, using the phone's restore feature.

If it still fails after the factory reset, then the phone is faulty.

As it is new, consult the manufacturer's warranty statement, usually found with the documentation that came with the phone or in the User Guide as to what you have to do to make a claim for a manufacturer's warranty repair, replacement or refund

Hi jayeff I started it on safe mode and it still has the same issue. Might you know a way to turn on the radio?

Pull Sims out and clean them off with a Qtip

Then blow any dust out of where the sims go

Try that first

I once had the same problem turned out to be lint in the Sim Card Tray

Still no luck, I've tried switching round the sims cards and also just having one some card in. It's a new phone I've had it for about a week. I've attached an image showing the service status which is what I'm having a problem with the most. Still unsure how to switch on the radio

Dianne K will be eternally grateful.