Parts & Tools

2.6 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz) with 3 MB shared L3 cache. Released February 13, 2013.

Can’t reinstall MacOs because disk is locked (2nd hand MacBook)

So I got a second hand macbook pro. I tried to reinstall macos, but it says that its locked

People said that i should go to disk utility and unlock the locked disk there

But the locked disk wasn’t there

And even if its there, i don’t know the password too. And I can contact the owner anymore

I have the same problem, did you find a solution?

Replace the drive. Drive firmware passwords on macs as far as I know are not something you can bypass.

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

You'll need to visit an Apple Store with a copy of the sales receipt for them to unlock your system.

How to set a firmware password on your Mac

I don’t have any receipts

Thank you dan but that is not helpful, mac air boots to the login screen but password not accepted, when I boot to recovery mode and click on info tells me the drive is locked. I can unlock the drive and see all correct info about drive and files etc but when I reboot laptop back to square 1

Then your system is iCloud locked! Which is why you need to go to an Apple Store to have them help you.

A company in China had figured out how to locate systems hidden ID code from an Apple web site used to validate if the phone was iCloud locked so they could reprogram locked phones and systems. Apple quickly shutdown it down once discovered. Basically, they plugged in a S/N and if it was clean they would use it.

So now years later the cloned system was stolen or Apple discovered the duplicate they would lockout the newer system with iCloud. You are one of the lucky ones who's system S/N and its hidden ID was cloned.

Ours also says disk is locked! Such a bummer because now I’ll lose thousands of photos and videos of our little ones as a babies. Is there a way to get this back? If Apple unlocks it, will all those be gone? I assume they would just wipe it clean? Anyone know what the cost of this would be? Wondering if we should just toss this if all hope is lost. Thanks for the help.

Most Helpful Answer

@tindc from this old thread it sounds like you just need to

Go to Disk Utility --> Erase Disk --> Select Erase with Journaling.

locked hard drive can't reinstall Lion OSX

@danj also suggested in this solution to create a separate bootable thumb drive to reinstall OS X from, erase the disk using Disk Utility, and that apparently solve the issue.

@avanteguarde as you can see from the image above under my disk Utility, the earase button is gray and i cant click it

@tindc my bad. I mistyped. I mean the "Partition" button. Try using the "Partition" button and select 1 partition. Also, are you using a thumb drive or directly from the Mac? You need to boot from a thumb drive.

@avanteguarde under dosk utility i only have “disk images: OS X Based System” i tried what you said i click partion, somethinf popped out, the format is gray i cant change it to journaled

I also can’t add 1

@tindc you need to boot from a thumb drive. You need a second mac to create a OS X installer. Find another computer with High Sierra. Follow these instructions:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3204672...

Then put the thumb drive into your computer, and hold "Option" when starting up. Choose Start up from the Thumb drive. This version of Disk utility will let you erase the drive.

I also had an issue with a locked disc when I was in recovery mode.

I ended up installing High Serria on a thumb drive, rebooting the mac holding down command, and selected the thumb drive to boot from. From there I was able to erase the mac's hard drive with JOURNALED selected. Exit disc utility and installed High Serria. It's installing now. I'll message again if there are any problems.

Ryan, did it work?

Won’t erasing the HD delete everything on it?

It works for me. hold the command+option+R then wait for the globe until it finished loading, then the erase button is now enabled then you can erase the mac with journaled after its done, back to the installation and it will now continue, it actually works and waiting for 6 hours to finish the installation.

Try this:

Restart , Hold down CTRL+OPTN+R

it should get into internet recovery, Circling globe and it will end up in disk utility page.

Click on disk utility and erase the hdd from internal only once done go back and go to reinstall Osx sierra.

it is actually CMD(command)+OPTN+R

I have a similar problem, the drive is locked, I can unlock it and run first aid but when I reboot drive is locked again.

Has anybody solved this without erasing the HDD? Surely there is a method. I was midway through updating the OS to El Capitan (yes I’m out of date) when my Mac crashed. I force turned off and now when I boot back into recovery modes I can’t reinstall/update the OS as the HDD is locked.

IMac disk locked, macOS cannot be reinstalled, disk erase not functioning and the only solution is for you to say take the device to an Apple Store to unlock, Oh my God, that means apple does not a solution to what it has built, If a person will encounter such a problem then it has to be taken to Apple Store? to unlock it. This is crazy. So Apple should come out to tell us that us in Africa and places with no Apple Store are not supposed to use apple devices. This is nonsense

@adamby2k3 - Think of it this way you stole the persons laptop and you want to see what is on the drive should you look?? Nope!

Thats why this is the proper answer! If the system was truly yours then Apple might be able to gain access beyond that you'll need to erase the drive, that way the data is gone!

u dan r stupid beach my friend adam is good guy stop saying he stealing

Martina will be eternally grateful.