A1706 / EMC 3071—Released in November 2016, this 13" Macbook Pro introduces the OLED Touch Bar. Features a dual-core "Skylake" Intel Core i5 CPU and four Thunderbolt 3 ports.

lid open problem: could not open more than 90 degree

This wired problem just came since yesterday:

when I slowly open the lid, the screen light up and my macbook pro wakes up as usual. I can log in, do normal stuff. However, if I continue to open the lid and by pass 90 degree, the screen turned to black, while the rest (keyboard, touchbar) is still working and I'm sure that the mac is not sleeping. Just the screen went off.

Anyone have any clue on how to diagnose the problem/resolve it?

I have this problem too. But sometimes gets as worse as 45 degrees for me, making it tough to use the laptop. :/ Went to an Apple authorised service center ( We don't have official Apple stores in India ), they told me that it was a display problem and I had to change the display. I don't think it is a display problem as it is working fine. Did going to the Apple Store solve the problem for you Liu?

No, the person you spoke to is correct this is a display problem!

The new display design did away with a replaceable cable from the display to the logic board which is what failed here, you'll need to get the display replaced.

Hopefully, you can get the AASP to put it under a warranty exception. Good Luck!

Oh, my warranty is over. I came to conclusion that this was a Ribbon problem after I read this answer ( I have the dark bands problem too ) Dark bands showing on my MacBook screen

Go back to that question and take a look the new image i posted it will explain things. You are in the same pickle you could try cleaning the cable connection but I doubt that will fix things. I've now seen 10 systems! All with this problem! Need a new display unit. If you open the system you run the risk of Apple denying your extended warranty.

I’m having the problem too since a few weeks. When I open the lid more than around 40 degrees it goes black. I can only have an active display when I keep the display under 40ish degrees. I paid around 2800 euro for my model, but Apple is not helpful here. I will see if my credit card insurance will pay under there warrenty extension. I will make sure they get the info that it’s most likely an design problem from Apple.

Most Helpful Answer

Best to bring this into an Apple Store as there is a known issue with the ribbon cables on some early units (defect). In addition the keyboard keys have issues. Apple should either repair or replace the system under extended warranty.

Thanks Dan, I'll go and check with the Apple Store for that.

Has it worked?

I've have two come in with bad cables Apple repaired both for free!

Good to hear! Only thing is, my 2016 Macbook is just out of the year warranty, do you know if they still fix it?

Yep! You may need to push a bit (move up the food chain)

I can’t offer any tangible solution for your broken screen since myself is in the process of fixing it. However I urge everyone to log a ticket on Apple support site so that they are aware of it. Until enough people report the same problem, they will not open a quality program for it and they will not repair for free. Once a quality program is created for this specific issue, we can even get refunded for the repair cost we put in.

I’m sorry to see more cases spreading globally, The Apple Store’s again continued to ask its customer to pay for the repair even though it is very obvious that it is a defective component.

Long story short, I too talked to a senior staff from the support team but got no help. I continued to reach out to customer relation, after an hour long heated discussion, she finally agreed to repair my display for free. Yet, the Apple Store did not agree to the decision, I had to pick up my system from the Apple Store and declined the repair first. The Apple customer relation then ordered me a repair box to ship my laptop in for depot repair. The depot repair was known to be a cheaper way for fixing device issue.

After that, my problem was fixed within 3 days and shipped right back to me with no charge on my side! I am happy with the result but it is sad to see Apple continue to treat it’s customers badly especially in situation as this.

Given many similar cases spreading globally, I’m sure it is a defective product issue but Apples refusal to look into it and continues to ask victims to pay for the expensive repair is just not right.

It might take another class of action to put this issue into a quality program.

Correct!

Most of the repairs have been under warranty or AppleCare+ service contracts so far. We are now starting to see these cable issues on systems which have now passed Apples normal warranty period.

While some folks have managed to get it still repaired under a warranty exception after a bit of haggling. I wouldn't be surprised more people will end up needing to pay for the repairs and wait for a proper extended warranty program is started.

Keep in mind the current keyboard repair program only happened after the threat of a few class action lawsuits! It may take that to get Apple to budge.

I am having this exact same issue and it only started about 3 months after my warranty period ended. I brought it in to an apple store in Turin, Italy, where I am currently living and they said I’d have to pay for the repair. I then found out about this issue being quite widespread so I complained to the apple support chat folks and they directed me to a senior phone advisor who said the same thing. Now I scheduled another meeting at the apple store again and I will ask to see a manager... Any tips on how to take this further up the food chain so that I can get an exception/push for a repair program like with the keyboards?

Helen, thank you for the info. I’m gonna try and keep pushing them to fix it... Not sure what else to say other than “I´ve been a loyal customer Bla Bla Bla” but i’ll try. Is there any chance I could use your case as an example of Apple actually fixing this issue for free? If so, could we get in touch?

@hailunshyu - Happy & sad! Happy you got Apple to fix your system, sad it took that much effort.

Please fire off an email to big Tim (tcook@apple.com) giving him all of your details (both the repair ticket # from the Apple Store and the repair ticket # on the repair depot repair), make sure you express your love for your system (when working) and how you want to be a loyal customer. But, Apples failure to acknowledging this design failure after you've seen lots of others facing it is very worrisome and how you had to fight for the repair.

@diegoaparra30 , yes you may use my specific case id as a reference if that will help you in any way. If you could leave me your email, I can send you the details. @Dan here has provided very good suggestion if you haven't read. I also like to thank @danj for being a great input regarding this particular issue, which had given me solid confirmation for where I stand when talking to Apple, thanks so much Dan.

I have opened this thread at Apple:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/33...

Please do a little me too.

apple has disabled the access to the thread....

same issue here macbook pro 15” 2017 with touch bar, any update?

Liu Kai will be eternally grateful.