We want to make it easy for people like you to start their own businesses. The Pro Tech Network empowers repair technicians with free online repair guides, business development wikis, marketing tools, and a vibrant community of repair businesses online.

Need advice on first purchases for start up

I'm tired of working 16 hr day for some one else. I am unemployed for the first time in my life and I'm 27. I found a passion in repairing phones and tablets after I had to learn to repair my son's ipad air 2 because I could not afford what a shop wanted to do the job. I have always had a good work ethic and Its time to build something with it that will last and I can pass down to my children.

I'm trying very hard with side and odd jobs to save enough money to purchase a couple machines like a LCD seperator and bubble remover to make myself profitable in the repair business. What all do I need to make sure it's done 100% to ifixit standards and is there any were you recommend to buy used machines for a guy that cannot get loan because of mistakes I made when I was younger

Starting out with refurbishing is a tall step to climb. It requires lot's of expensive equipment and you will have to go through lot's of failed refurbs before perfecting your process. Considering you don't have easy access to loans, I would encourage you to start small. Start with repairing/replacing broken screens and make some money that way. You'll also learn the inside out of the devices and the business in general. Then you can branch out and start with refurbishing.

I hear what your saying. I have been doing the repairs now for awhile. I usually buy broke phones and tablets and repair then resale. That's how I found my passion for it.

I just see how much cheaper it is to replace just the glass vs the whole screen. I could charge people less and make more profit at the end of the day. Also I still have 75% or all the broken screen I have replaced so I would definitely practice on all of them before I took it to the next level. I'm just tired of doing physical labor up to 16hrs a day and watching other people benefit more from it. I have 2 children and I'm 27. It's time for me to get out there and build something something that I can look back on and feel comfortable that I have something to leave behind for them.

Jesse King will be eternally grateful.