Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Swapped hard drive not recognized

The video in my older Macbook Pro died. My son has a newer 2012 Pro but his hard drive died. I took the working drive out of my Pro (OSX.10.11) and put it in my son's machine. His Pro won't recognize the drive so I can't even see it on Disk Utilities. When I boot the machine you hear the hard drive spin up and a few minutes later, it spins down and the question folder appears.

I can boot it from my bootable partition on my external backup, but how do you reformat a drive that is not recognized by the OS?

The drive I swapped in is a hybrid 750 Gb drive. Perhaps that is the reason it is not recognized.

The hard drive I/R cable is most likely the culprit. Apple was even replacing it for free for a shorty period. When replacing use something to pad around the cable as it comes onto the optical drive. I use 3M extreme mounting tape.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Hard Drive Cable Replacement

Steve will be eternally grateful.