A personal computer that resides in one location with its core components inside a case separate to third-party peripherals required for operation, such as a mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

Why is my computer showing an error when trying to use a floppy disk?

On my Windows 95 machine (I need it to run my 16-bit programs), I am trying to open a floppy disk, which I haven't done in maybe 15 years or so and it's telling me that there's a "Read fault error reading drive A". Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with my floppy drive?

@gabrielmeir53 does your drive show up under windows and in the system BIOS

Yes, it does, @oldturkey03. I believe the floppy disk is faulty.

Hi @gabrielmeir53 ,

Have you tried a different floppy disc, just in case the one that you tried is faulty?

Check that the floppy drive's data cable is connected securely to the motherboard and to the floppy drive. (is it a 3.5" drive or a 5.25" drive?)

As it hasn't been used for a long time, you may have to clean the read/write heads in the drive.

Here is a link to a video that shows how to clean the R/W heads in a 3.5" drive

As mentioned in the video, use IPA 90%+ (Isopropyl Alcohol - available at most pharmacies) to clean the heads.

If your drive is a different type to what is shown in the video, search You Tube for "clean 3.5" (or 5.25") floppy drive heads" that may show how to open and clean your particular type of drive.

Hey @jayeff,

I tried checking my floppy drive using other floppy disks I had since way back when and I believe the floppy disk is faulty. Thanks for your help. I will also clean the drive.

-Gabriel

Gabriel Shatunovsky will be eternally grateful.