Startup Disk HDD not recognized... fix/alternatives?

Hi all -

I have a macbook pro 2GHz Core Duo that I recently purchased... knowing it was having trouble booting from the internal hdd. After removing the logic board, cleaning it, reseating, etc... I got it to boot up to the hard disk twice and then it went back to only booting from the optical bay or an external hdd.

I'm assuming this is a hard drive controller issue, correct? Any suggestions? I know I can remove the optical bay and install the after market hard drive bay, but if I want to keep my dvd drive, are there any fixes? I did note that all the pre-unibody macbook pro logic boards have an unused port site to the left of the optical bay but before the memory opening. Is that a potential site I could link some "X" cable to?

PS - I tested using both another HDD and another HDD flex cable

Yes you can use the optical bay adapter: 9.5 mm PATA Optical Bay SATA Hard Drive Enclosure

You might want to consider replacing the hard drive cable: MacBook Pro 15" (Model A1150) Hard Drive Cable

Do not use that port, it is for Apple factory testing.

Hey Mayer --

It's been awhile, hope all is well. I actually tried a KG hard drive flex cable. It's definitely something related to the hardware of the board or pins on the board. Oh well... Thanks

Jason

jcarter will be eternally grateful.