Model A1236 / 4 or 8 GB capacity

Why isnt my iPod nano working!?

My friends ipod Nano broke and it doesn't want to turn on! @%^! put it on his ihome it says its charging but that's all it does! It refuses to turn on! I can fix it for him but i need to know whats wrong with it first and I cant risk dismantling it since its not mine. His ipod is the 3rd generation Nano. Any advice?

Most Helpful Answer

Shade, it all depends how it broke. It could be as easy as to try to reset it by following the instructions from Apple to a complete dismantling and replace of logic board iPod Nano 3rd Generation Logic Board Replacement . But start with the reset and see what happens.

Thanks ill try that. My friend gave it to me and it doesent mater whe i return it but from what its doing right now it looks like the logic bord got either wet some how or it needs to be replaced for some odd reason.

Here is how to deal with it

Reset it

This is done by pressing and holding the center button and menu button till the screen goes black, then it will turn back on

From there, you have to restore it, which wipes everything on it, so keep that in mind

You will need iTunes and a USB cable some way, if you don't have one to use

Install iTunes and open iTunes, and then click on the iPod

here is a link to iTunes if you need it

http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Here is a admittedly crude visual aide when you open iTunes and the iPod is plugged in, because let's face it, crude visuals are better then me explaining it

Also know the white box is because I did not want my phone's serial # and phone number out there, so don't worry about that

If a restore does not help, replace the battery, but mind you it will need to be soldered in

Here is the guide

iPod Nano 3rd Generation Battery Replacement

here is the battery

iPod nano Gen 3 Replacement Battery

As to the soldering iron, a cheap one that gets to 450-500 degrees is enough, be patient, lead free is tough to melt

My iPod Gen 3 Nano is dead. Initially I noticed the light flickering on it for the past two weeks. Now it is completely down. When I plug it into my computer nothing happens... no charging will help this. I have over 2000 songs on it and only 100 are on my itunes ipod acct. Can I fix this? Will I loose all my songs?

Please help

lcook762@yahoo.com

Shade will be eternally grateful.