Model A1103 / 1.25, 1.33, 1.42, or 1.5 GHz G4 processor

Can I reset the password on OS X 10.4.11?

Hi I’m not sure if I can reset the password on this Mac mini. I think I know the master password so I think I can get in.

Try this:

• Power on or restart your Mac.

• At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.

• Type "sh /etc/rc" and press Enter/Return.

• Type "passwd <username>" and replace “<username>” with the short name of the user account for which you’d like to reset the password.

• Type your desired password and press Enter. It won’t show itself on the screen, so be careful what you type. You will most likely have to enter it again to confirm.

•Type "reboot" and press Enter.

So, when I type "sh /etc/rc" I get a bunch more lines of text as the computer does some things, then it goes to a blue screen with the mouse, and freezes. No chance to enter the passwd command. No further information. The iMac keeps spitting out my Tiger install DVDs too. :(

Boot from your original system installation disk. Go to the second page of the install when the pull down menu appears. Go to Utilities > Change Password and do it.

This utility can also be found on the 10.5 retail DVD.

Padraic Hoselton will be eternally grateful.