Released April 2010 / 2.4, 2.53 GHz Core i5 or 2.66, 2.8 GHz Core i7 Processors

What is VTEncoderXPCService and VTDecoder under Activity Monitor

VTEncoderXPCService (most times) and VTDecoderXPCService (occasionally) are showing up in my Activity monitor and show using 176 %CPU! and causing the fan to run full blast. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you add or remove images within the Photo's app a lot?

I add Photos that I've taken yes.

VTEncoderXPCService is a file extension for a Photos process. The way to fix this is go into preferences then disable the iCloud Photo Library connection.

I've de-selected everything under iCloud in Photos and it's still doing it.

there could be a few apps / programs causing the problem. firefox is a big offender if you have that installed, followed by Photos, messenger, safari or itunes. without seeing the errors its difficult to pinpoint which one is causing the problem. did you install any software prior to this happening? it really sounds like a video encoder is causing the problem.

I have this same problem and wish I could find how to fix it. I have isolated the problem only to being when I have a browser as the active window and iPhoto open also, such as when I want to put a picture on social media. When I have Safari opened and Facebook, for instance, when I go to choose the picture, the VTEncoderXPCService will go to 335+% CPU and make my fan go crazy. I thought it was a Safari problem, so started using Chrome, but same thing happens when you try to upload a picture to social media using the Chrome browser. I never had this problem until two months ago. Closing iMessage does nothing - I just tried that . Any advice would be so appreciated!

Tara will be eternally grateful.