Fixing logic board? LED lights up steadily, Fans turn, no chime.
my sisters Mac Book just died while in normal use, running cool with no tell-tale signs in beforehand. No mechanical abuse or liquid damage occured.
- MacBook Core Duo, Late 2006, black
- 2 GHz
- 2x512 Meg RAM
- Three-Walled connectors
Symptoms after pressing the power button:
- Fan spins
- Display flashes shortly as usual. Stays black
- No chime sounds. Ever.
- When RAM is installed, LED turns on and stays on.
- When all RAM is removed LED flashes rapidly.
- Swapping RAM/Reseating and using known working RAM does not change the Situation
- Shuts down after holding down the power button for a longer period. Does not power down by itself.
Things I did:
- Removed the board, cleaned with professional PCB cleaner fluid (Kontaktchemie LR)
- Removed the SRAM-Battery for a few minutes
- Tried booting with and without HDD, Airport-Module, Battery
- Symptoms change slightly when removing RAM altogether (see above)
- Mechanical an electrical inspection done, no visible damage or signs of severe corrosion.
- All fuses I was _able to find_ seem ok.
- No signs of liquids or scorches
So basically I'm running out of ideas how to "simply fit it". I'm an electrical engineer and am able to fix complex things with a schematic. Having worked a lot with SOT323, BGA, 0402 SMD and all it should be doable, but without a schematic I'm screwed.
Maybe someone could give me a hint towards a schematic. If I get it working I will keep you informed for others who might to come this way, too.
Thank you in advance!
Is this a good question?