The Dell Chromebook 11 3180 is a cost-effective, student laptop that runs on the Chrome operating system. It was first released on Feb. 7th, 2017.

My chromebook has an admin on it, how do I remove it?

Well, I bought my Dell chromebook off of Ebay, and I can't really do anything, the admin has blocked most things and it has ibossConnect on it, can somebody tell me what to do? (I can't get in Dev. mode either)

You don't need to go into dev mode to wipe the admin off the machine. All you have to do is do a power wash. If the device is controlled by an admin that's a different story. You would have to contact the company that is controlling the machine and have them release the device. If your tech-savvy you can change the serial number on the device which will break the admin control but it is risky and you risk destroying the board.

You should be able to force it into developer mode by doing the following:

use the "3 finger salute", (esc+refresh+power) and follow the steps to remove OS verification, etc. It will then restart on its own (Dont force restart!).

It will likely say something like "dev mode has been blocked by administrator". Keep repeating step 1 till this works. Alternatively, replace the motherboard using another iFixIt guide.

Hope this helps!

press esc+refresh(↩)+power, and then press ctrl+d and then press enter (or space if you are on another type of Chromebook) then wait. after that press ctrl+d a few times, then you will be in dev mode. For windows, go to Settings, Update & Security > For Developers and select “Developer mode. Hope this helps!!

@Brook Vryenhoek look at the top it will be marked as refresh circle of F1 F3 depending on ur chromebook

next to the esc button there is two arrows go to the right of them by 1

How do I actually get my school admin off of this computer because it will not let me go into youtube.

**READ: This is coming from someone who bypassed the web filter, printed from school printers on a personal laptop by finding the IP address, got past a local IP internet block multiple times and was left alone by admin and IT given enough time and victories.** The enterprise lock (and device policies) is cloud based and tied to the device serial number. There is no way to remove the tie without having it removed by the administrator who applied it, or replacing the motherboard. The screw trick really only works on the “CR-48” (5+ years old) Chromebooks, and those have been retired and sold as surplus due to the devices no longer getting updates and being several years old. Unless the school somehow can’t afford new ones (which is impossible, since they block the usual XXX sites anyone who went through puberty knows about for eFunding), the screw trick is not an option as it was patched years ago.

This is an iCloud activation lock for Chromebooks. STOP asking - IT CANNOT BE DONE! These machines are deployed to PREVENT what I got away with in high school! As the old generation left, the next generation who got it done and found the holes made it harder. If it was possible to permanently neutralize it so it never comes back, do you not think people who can remove the management would be buying them for almost nothing and trying their luck?

The enterprise enrollment is tied to the serial number and is loaded on the device through the cloud. In addition, it is stored on the device locally just in case they’re kept offline so it’s persistent. In addition to local storage, the profile gets restored to the device if you erase it by using the stored forced enrollment policies. THERE IS NO WORKAROUND. It sounds like an ex school machine since iBoss has a education specific variant. I’m not shocked since schools are already infamously lazy about removing BIOS/EFI passwords from decommissioned systems.

With these “managed” Chromebooks, the only good option is to return the unit as defective (because it *is*), especially with the eBay MBG. That said, Google may forcefully release it if you provide a receipt and the Chromebook serial number, but they usually defer it to the lazy administrator. Only once it’s removed can you powerwash it and turn it into a “normal Chromebook” again.

It’s still your final call on what to do, but I would have just returned it and dinged the seller for negligence that cripples the Chromebook as a entire unit for outsiders. The seller’s negligence is not my issue to fix. You have a solid case against the seller, especially if they assumed it was clean without checking and then listing it as if it was okay for end user use and did not disclose this issue. Unless you somehow got a really nice one, send it back and try again - ex school Chromebooks are rarely worth saving and tend to be more beaten up, or BER if anything major is busted. Let the seller take the financial hit since it should have been sold for parts.

The main issue with school surplus is it tends to be in worse condition then corporate surplus used by businesses/professionals selling their old machine. In some school districts, they tend to back off with even a little parental pushback due to the low purchase price, which is why damaged Chromebooks regularly flood the market with residual remote management. In some cases, the schools are unwilling to hold the student (or parent) accountable for the damaging the Chromebook, and it gets dumped on the market with the student induced damage without removing the management. The only time they stand their ground is parents who give in or it’s hard to push back. Because of this, some districts sell them to the “student” (really the parents) to shift the cost of damage if/when it happens! They ironically stand their ground when a Mac is damaged ($$), but not Chromebooks ($) unless it is BER. THERE IS A REASON PEOPLE WHO KNOW BETTER AVOID EX SCHOOL CHROMEBOOKS ON THE SECONDHAND MARKET WHEN POSSIBLE. THEY ARE OFTEN JUNK WITH LEFTOVER MANAGEMENT! Unless it is cheap, they are a bad buy as secondhand devices - 9 times out of 10, it is managed by a school and requires a Google account that is used by a student of that school (may or may not be branded with the school name), OR it requires a .edu eMail from that college who sold it.

As a Chromebook Tech, I can't agree more! There are ways around the Admin tie but it could cost you the board to which you might as well go buy a brand new Chromebook anyway lol.

@hbarnestechk12 Sure you can do something very specific with one piece of data you probably know what I'm referencing, but it's temporary and you need to reset it every time. It's a waste of time at best. This question is just as common and annoying as the iCloud lock ones. NO - you can't save a enterprise enrollment chromebook you got from eBay without going to Google and hoping they help or returning it.

The problem is Chromebooks are priced to be disposable - which is why schools love them. The MacBooks cost a lot to replace compared to a $150 enterprise ready Chromebook. Don't waste your time with Google when it's ex school - they're cosmetically terrible a lot of the time.

try ESC, RELOAD, and POWER. it will erase everything and will basically put the Chromebook to factory setting. afterward it will ask you questions but your Chromebook will be good as new with no restrictions:)

@Xavier Hiben Only works if the Chromebook was de-provisioned otherwise it's in forced enrollment mode.

This is coming from someone who bypassed the web filter, printed from school printers on a personal laptop by finding the IP address, got past a local IP based internet block and beat IT to the point I was literally given a free pass to exploit it so they can make it go away... A Chromebook enterprise lock is truly forever since it is loaded to the device from the Google cloud - you need to change the board and the screw trick only worked on old chromebooks, which are mostly all EOL now, and out of the school system. This is an iCloud lock for schools. I wouldn't even be able to get past it, especially since the write protect screw loophole has not worked on any of the modern Chromebooks (made within the past 5 years).

-Remove the admins properly

On top of the symbols hold these buttons.

Escape+Refresh+Power. Then the screen will turn off and you’ll see a text that says: Please insert a USB card. I use a HP computer so I insert the card right near the headphones plug. Then a warning will say “Press space to re-enable” Instead of doing it do: Windows: ctrl+d. Apple or Mac: command+d Chromebook: ctrl+d.

Press and Hold: CTRL+D. Then the device will erase, reset. Then login again. That should 100% remove the admin limits.

Go here to find how to remove the admin limits: My chromebook has an admin on it, how do I remove it?

ADMIN-FREE STUDIOS

The new and improved way to remove admin limits.

Watch the chromebook tutorial of how to turn on dev mode.

This doesn't work with the devices in the past five years so don't powerwash and revert your device too much

Before doing this on your windows (any version) do not clean all drives or select "Fully clean the drive". No erased data is allowed before going in recovery mode

If you own a different windows computer and you don't see the shortcut symbol= a windows enterprise computer, do F1=Esc+F3=Restart+F10=Power. If you have a windows 8 or windows 10 computer, you can go in recovery mode simpler.

Before you do esc+refresh+power, backup your files so they won't be deleted when you do the shortcut ctrl+d/command+d.

Note: Never sign out of your device and do a factory reset, otherwise, all local data and accounts will be removed. Expect you do not need to worry about files on Google Drive, or on your external storage device.

You'll need to make a recovery USB with a WIndows or Mac with Chrome installed using this app. Once that SD/USB is made, insert it into the device. Now, hold ESC + REFRESH (F3) and then hit power. It will boot into recovery mode and ask you some prompts. Follows them, the device will erase, reset, and that should remove the admin limits. Good luck.

EDIT: Read the above selected answer. This does not work on newer Chromebooks within the past 5 years, which I was unaware of. Please stop asking how to do this. The answer is provided above.

Install Chrome on a macbook or windows box and install the chromebook recovery utility on it. Choose your device and boom.

@shyshaun The reason me and the others who could figure this out don't bother is YES, you'd be caught. The way these things connect would trip a flag and they'd want to audit the Chromebook.

The old days of it being such a joke you'd be able to cut a special deal to be left alone are largely over.

funny my chroe book is from five years ago and i can still do the esc refresh power and then ctrl d 2x

I need help geting rid of this

well press the CTRL+ALT+the thing that has a > and boom power wash

If you want to unblock a few sites you just type the website’s name/activate. However, you might have to write even more things depending on your district. Some districts are more secure than others. In my district, I have only unblocked one site tho.

I started this website a few days ago.

It didn't work for me so I don't know if you're sure or not because it's blocked and I hate it when that happens.I even go on the settings and try to fix it but just some of the things I can't click and some of the things I click turn out to be the wrong way though.

yes!!!! it works beautifully!

ok but it doesn't work for me.

well what do you need to write?

if the device was enrolled in enterprise then you can not remove or remove the screw to fix the issue. If it’s not remove the screw and wash the device.

Thx yes I've come to the conclusion that I cant it is enrolled thru some enterprise, I really assumed there was some way I could get around it. I tried any variation i could find but ultimately it's a lost cause i guess . A mom&pop computer shop couldnt figure it out tho right?? I am a novice and hopefully that's not the sole reason, it's a wash, so to speak?

@csclav14 You are not the only one.... I am a tech savvy genius and have been working on a way around the admin access for a couple years now. @hbarnestechk12 is right and there is no way around it. Some schools have a less strict policy, so if your school has VMware Horizon, then you chose anything besides AUTOCAD and sign on to that.

Then you need to go online to softfamous.com. Download the .exe file. When the file is done, run it and click stop. Go to the dropbox on the bottom for the server and choose your country(United States). Click connect and wait for the servere to connect. Now you can do anything you want, but make sure not to close the "You are connected window." Note: You have to do this every time you log on, so it will become tedious.

Doesn't make sense.

this didn't work for me

yeah it didn't work for me either

You have to powerwash your whole entire chromebook.

tried this solves every thing bathing it works too

Powerwashing wouldnt do anything though. even after a full factory reset, the administrator will still be there and you cant get past it. Essentially, powerwashing resets the device, not the enterprise that controls it.

Factory resets will add the admin to the system.

ok but how do powerwash it??

How do u do it if...... it a school laptop

ok hold in esc the reload button and the power button at the same time and then a yellow ! will appear and you press ctrl+d enter and then again then click space bar and then before you sign in enrool the chrom book

This isn't helpful.

Isn't helpful u know because it doesn't work.I do that but I can't get rid of my admin,get it?

same I NEED TO TAKE OFF ADMIN I NEED MY NETFLIXX

I loved it, I can do anything I want to!

THANKS

Ibis: try and relax on the caps lock, and you don't NEED netflix. You didn't have it before did you? Right. However, if it's old enough it has a screw you can remove then power washing is pretty simple, if it's newer than 5 years apparently they say there is no screw but if it has an M.2 drive, theoretically all you have to do is replace that extraordinarily inexpensive drive and then do the power wash thing.

press and hold esc+reload then press power and release all buttons wait for an orange exclamation mark and hit ctrl+d then press enter and then something will pop-up saying chrome verification off hit space bar and then it will turn on developer mode beware that resetting will remove all files on device and you need to back up any that you want to keep and then the device will reset and turn on developer mode

will you have to sign on to another account?

what........... that weird

go to zoom click sign in with google click use an other then click crate account then sign in instead then click use another account click learn more then click the 3 - k then terms of service go all the way to the bottom k click google and you good

that does not work

Hope this helps!

Does this delete the info on the computer?

that is not working for me

It not working because u are not doing it right

when I do it it just shut everything down like my website so I had to power it up again and then I had to restore everything

what is the refresh button. there is no refresh on my school computer. i am trying to delete the school administrator's account, but there is no refresh button.

Hey I know this is a kind of old question but theres still a lotta people viewing this and I just gotta help those googlers.

I found a glitch today. I have tested on chromeos 86 and 87 on 2 different types of chromebooks. First, powerwash the chromebook. Sign into the internet and when you get to the screen where it says “Getting device configuration” click the notification center in the bottom right corner and get ready to turn off the wi-fi. When the screen turns to “Enrolling device” Turn off the internet. It will say “Enrollment Failed” Then click the button “Enroll manually” This should pull up a screen saying “no internet”. Turn the internet back on and click the back button. Eventually, in the bottom left corner, buttons will start to appear. First, Apps (If your district has apps). Second, Browse as Guest. When Browse as guest appears, go back and forth clicking the back button and the Browse as Guest button. Eventually, the chromebook should crash when you click browse as guest. Finally, press esc + refresh + power and it will take you to a screen where it says “Chrome OS is missing or Damaged” Press Ctrl + Search (Ctrl +Shift on older models) and then press enter to go into developer mode. Then, the screen will say “OS Verification is off. Press space to enable” Press space to enable then press enter. Finally, the chromebook will reboot and the enrollment should go away. If it doesnt work, then try it again. I hope this helps those googlers out there!

You do realize it's based on the S/N so even if you SOMEHOW get past it now, it's gonna come back? That or it trips as offline to your school's IT department.

I reset my chromebook and ive powerwashed it multiple times to put it in and out of developer mode and it hasnt once re enrolled into the school network

@the_ethan_9000 Give it time - it will come back or you'll get a call about it because IT noticed and your parents now know.

I know how it works

Hey Ethan, I've tried your steps but selecting "browse as guest" and back repeatedly still hasn't resulted in a crash.

Do you have discord? This website is annoying for instant messaging.

Add me: brayjamin#7449

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDO-JjM...

If you are on windows 10 you can probably do this

This is for Chromebook not for Windows

Yaaa y ok are right

Do the 3-finger-salute (esc+refresh+power) when you get yellow ! or insert usb screen then press ctrl+d press space keep repeating until you get completly white screen saying “Welcome to your new Chromebook” admin should be removed.

Hope this helps! -pixelmanTyler

O NO MY CPU HARDWARE BROKE

WHY

LIK WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyy

NOT FOR CRHOME BOOK

Hi i'm very scared to do this did you test it before???

@Kenny Le ok thank you for telling me i will not do it

i'm a kid i'm 7 i don't understand

idc that the crombook brok

Here is the real answer you can't it's not possible unless you are the admin :) hope that helped!

what howo do you become the stupid admin

what is the three figr slot

how to turn into admin \_(-_-)_/

hi I don't know how they block my hangouts and in school

Yeah, she is correct, the esc + refresh + power is dev mode, I have tried this on admin enabled chromebooks, it will simply either screw the chromebook or completely disconnect from the campus network (e.g. you can't log in, mostly because it's a different (or old email) that the campus used. I know this because I have rooted the android subsystem on chromebooks by turning on dev mode, but all in all, don't do it. It will either murder the poor thing, or break it, then it's the IT's. Sorry if this is too much.

Well iBoss Is like Icloud it a loud service I think you to find who is your boss or something like that

i dont know what to do it was pain in the ass

Oh that’s makes sents. Thank you Arijay Jain hope u have a great day

In your Stardrive put in “Delete Admin” and it will automatically delete it.

admin is useless who's agree

i agree

it is usfull who needs it

Man

how do you do it

Is there a way to get a administrator off of my chromebook besides holding ctrl and D?

I think this is how you get a administrator off of your computer! You just talk to him.

@Adrian Solano Yeah they won't if it's still owned. Only if you purchased it from them.

You just do refresh esc and Ctrl d then you have to inter a code or password for your laptop or computer.

@agzg0f9f if there is that be cool

i try it and it did not work and plus i don't know witch is the refesh boten

im just waiting for this admin to GET OFF MY COMPUTER!!!!!

Wow this is so not cool stupid adiam

**Read me: This is coming from someone who bypassed the web filter, printed from school printers on a personal laptop by finding the IP address, got past a local IP internet block and was left alone by admin and the IT department after enough incidents where I worked around their countermeasures.** The enterprise lock (and device policies) is cloud based and pushed based on the device serial number. There is no way to remove the tie without having it removed by the administrator who added it, or replacing the motherboard. The screw trick really only works on the “CR-48” (5+ years old) Chromebooks, and those have been retired and sold as surplus due to the devices no longer getting updates and being several years old. Unless the school somehow can’t afford new ones, the screw trick is not an option anymore as it was patched years ago.

This is an iCloud activation lock for Chromebooks. This cannot be done, so stop asking.

The enterprise enrollment is tied to the serial number and is loaded on the device through the cloud. In addition, it is stored on the device locally just in case they’re kept offline so it’s persistent. In addition to local storage, the profile gets restored to the device if you erase it by using the stored forced enrollment policies. Simply put, there is no way around it. It sounds like an ex school machine since iBoss has a education specific variant. I’m not shocked since schools are already infamously lazy about removing BIOS/EFI passwords from decommissioned systems.

With these “managed” Chromebooks, the only good option is to return them as defective (because it *is*), especially with the eBay MBG. That said, Google may forcefully release it if you provide a receipt and the Chromebook serial number, but they usually defer it to the ones who applied the device management. Only once it’s removed can you powerwash it and turn it into a “normal Chromebook” again.

It’s your call on what to do, but I would just return it and let the seller deal with it instead of trying to get it removed. It’s not my fault that the seller was negligent, so why should I have to clean up their mistake? You have a solid case against the seller if they assumed it was clean without checking and then listing it as if it was okay for end user use. Unless you somehow get a really nice one, get your money back and try again - ex school Chromebooks are rarely worth saving. Let the seller take the financial hit since it should have been sold as a parts machine - the sellers who don’t check or lie are flippers/do not care.

The other issue with school surplus is it tends to be in worse condition then surplus used by businesses or business professionals selling their old machine. In some school districts, they tend to back off with even a little parental pushback due to the low purchase price, which is why damaged Chromebooks regularly flood the market with residual remote management. In some cases, the schools are unwilling to hold the students/parents accountable for damaging the Chromebook, and replace the entire machine without at least trying. The only time they stand their ground is parents who give in or it’s hard to push back. Because of this, some districts sell them to the “student” (really the parents) to shift the costs of damage! The irony here is they stand on Mac damage due to the cost($$), but not Chromebooks ($) unless the Chromebook is damaged beyond repair. DO NOT BUY Chromebooks from schools unless they are cheap AND you can handle the major problems that need repair if you can avoid it.

jhb mk;nkj;bnjmnjnmklnjiuenbmnbut5ieorw807ht8bu

To Delete Hold CTRL+D

Ok..........

My CTRL D just makes it a bookmark.

yeah mine to

ctrl D is cmd for bookmark btw

yeah it is i really want to delete this

i am so mad at admin

ya me to

jairo martin-godinez.

well i think the admin was using the computer before us so you have to figure out how to get rid of the admin account.

Thank You this website really helped me today.

Go on the acounts screen press ctrl + alt + shift + r at the same time

i will try this after school thank you for the information.

Short answer. You can’t without being a god hacker person.

Tri Doge will be eternally grateful.