Repair guides and support for LED, LCD, HD and other Vizio TVs.

I have sound but my picture keeps going black after a few minutes of

Any Ideas on what might be causing my picture to go black after watching a few minutes of tv? This Just started happening l!

Ok, the tv is hanging on my wall and just started doing this all of a sudden yesterday, so you think it could be a few different things? And are these repairs pretty easy to do yourself?

Thank You Again!

I have Vizio 55” and screen goes black but still get sound. I have found that this is being caused by a bad connection between 2 of the boards in back. I have taken back off and carefully squeeze this connector point attaching boards together, and works fine for a few months. I believe the root cause is something to do with strain on tv body by being mounted on wall causing board connection spot to slightly move. When I fix and leave off wall, the problem does not happen again.

Have you tried going to your display settings and changing from vivid to another display? It worked for me.

I don’t believe that the settings display shows due to screen going out, but will test when this problem happens again in a few months.

My TV is not mounted on the wall and still went black. Changing the display settings worked for me. No issues since.

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

@dsmitty29 let us know what exact model this is. It is possible that this is caused by a bad power board which then causes your backlight to turn off, but can also be a T-con or main board issue. Let us know if only your picture turns off or if you lose sound as well and if the picture comes back on. You do want to try to reset your TV. Unplug it and push and hold the power button for about 30sec-1min then plug it in while holding the power button depressed. If that does not help, remove the back of your set and post some good images of your boards with your question. That way we can see what you see and could try to assist you further. Use this guide Adding images to an existing question for that

@dsmitty29 "you can see the picture like that. " is indicative of a bad power board. The power board supplies the voltages needed by the backlight. Of course there is a possibility that your backlight LED array has failed or you have some loose cable. You have to check this out by removing the back and measuring the output of the power board. If the power is supplied but the backlight turns off, it's the array.

Thank you for the advice, the reset didn't work, it's a Vizio UHD 4K TV Model name: D65u-D2

Also, It will turn on and work fine for about 3-4 minutes and then the picture just shuts off, I turned the lights off and held a flashlight up to the screen and you can see the picture like that. The picture does not come back on after it goes off

It's hanging on my wall and just started doing this all of a sudden yesterday, are these things easy to fix yourself? Thanks again!

@dsmitty29 easy and difficult are all a matter of who is doing it ;-) It is really not very complicated. Most complicated will most likely be the removal of the back

I called a tv repair place, the guy said he doesn't think it wound be the power board

Most Helpful Answer

In regards to this issue with the D65u-D2 screen going black, here is what I’ve found with mine:

This issue started with my TV at 14 months old, just out of the manufacturer warranty (of course). After some research, I decided to change the power board. THIS DID NOT HELP. THE ONLY THING THAT WORKS IS CHANGING THE PICTURE MODE TO STANDARD AND THE AUTO BRIGHTNESS SETTING TO MEDIUM. Also, make sure all of your timer settings are changed to off. We have not had it cut out since!

It angers me that I have to do this, and that Vizio fails to recognize this issue, but at least I didn’t have to launch the TV into a dumpster.

it's works if I change the auto brightness setting to medium or low, the tv do not turn off.

Exactly how do I change the screen size, brightness or anything at all for that matter if when I press the menu button or any other button, I can't see anything because the screen stays blackish blue?

Vizio D65u-D2 turned the setting to standard and medium. Issue resolved. If I put it on Vivid, it shuts off again after a few minutes with audio only. Ordered the power supply to see if it allows me to use Vivid setting.

I have a Vizio D40-D1 went into the settings and changed the screen mode to disable sleep mode and power mode it seems to stay on now.

I have a vizio 400k smart TV. I got it for free because of this issue. The screen would shut off after about 10 mins of it being on but the sound still worked. Just went in and changed picture settings to standard and turned off sleep and power mode. So far it's been about 25 mins and it's still on. Hopefully it stays that way but I believe it's fixed. :)

Changing picture mode to standard as well as turn off sleep and power mode didn't work. Unfortunately my life suck after having this TV for a 1 and 1/2.

Dryna, did you also change the picture to Med as well? It must be set to standard and med.

Hoping this works out visio just started doing the same exact thing had it for about the same exact time ( 2 years )

I have the same Vizio D65U-D2. Just out of warranty. Same exact problem. None of the proposed solutions above work. The only thing I’ve noticed I can do so far to keep the screen from going black is to keep it on Netflix (thereby using WIFI) with the cable box off so none of the HDMI cables are effecting the TV. So far, that’s it. If I watch TV or any DVR recorded program, blackout with audio working within 5 minutes. About to toss this piece of crap.

Tahiti Trust that sounds like a main board issue. All HDMI ports will go through the main board so will the WiFi but different circuits on the board

As frustrating as this is, I have found that changing the picture to Standard also works for me. I have a Vizio 65” tv bought on black Friday 2yrs ago. Just like Jake said, not long after being out of warranty the screen went black with audio. called Vizio and they refused to acknowledge the problem. Thats the last time I buy a Vizio, they are junk.

**********************************

Update, I have replaced the T.con card on it and while it didn’t fix my problem I noticed a minor improvement. I was able to switch the picture to vivid with the “auto brightness control” set to high and it remained on. For Best picture quality you want this function off and not on high. But this is an improvement over what I had before. If I change the auto brightness control to off, the TV still goes black with audio in the background. The T.Con itself was only $25 at Amazon. So for me worth the investment and keeps me going a little longer.

Didn't work for me

Folks, I have the Vizio 65” D Series and having the same issue “Screen goes black but still has audio”. This happens while using any device, on any HDMI port, as well as the built in Smart apps particularly . I've attempted all of the workarounds mentioned on the internet including working with Vizio support without resolution. After dealing with this for the past year or more and sifting through countless threads I believe I have finally found a permanent fix. Power draining, factory reset, changing picture mode, has no effect. These are all temporary workarounds on their own. Currently having the picture mode at Standard with Auto brightness off and backlight set to 75% seems to be holding up and have not had the “Blackout” since. This is unfortunate and Vizio should patch this defect. Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Changing the picture mode to standard also worked for me. The picture is not as good but at least there is a picture. Time to start saving for a non-VIZIO product. My tv is 2 1/2 years old.

It just started today with my  Vizio D65U-D2, too.  Standard and Medium seem to be working.  Mine is about 2 1/2 years old as well.  12/9/2018

Mine started yesterday 12/17/18. Same D65U-D2 model, same problem. I turned down my back light to 25 and that seemed to work for now.

How can I change the display on my Vizio 55in if the screen remains black?

On my tv, holding the mute button for 5 seconds then pressing any button accept volume or more seems to give me a few minutes on pic to adjust settings. I'm calling about my extended warranty tomorrow though, hopefully it's replaced without issue. Good luck

I have been having the same issues with my Vizio D65u-d2 television. I have had to power cycle it several times. Once I changed the satellite box to a different HDMI port. Then once I changed the input using the remote it was working and the issue seemed to be fixed but occurred again the next day. I moved the hdmi cable amd power cycled it again and the picture kept turning off with the sound on. I then unplugged my PS3 as it was the oldest of the hdmi cables and power cycled again. Set the hdmi to my new satellitebox hdmi location using the remote. The Vizio remote now has the batteries out of it. This seems to be a combination of the remote setting it to that sleep mode due to a misfunctioning mute button and possibly the old HDMI cable being removed. I will update tomorrrow and let you know if it continues to keep working after I turn it off tonight and hope it turns on tomorrow. It's driving me nuts!!! 30 minutes just to get my TV on is ridiculous. I have a 10 year old 32” Vizio that has no issues and a 48” 8 year old Vizio with no issues. I trusted Vizio but if this continues I will never buy another Vizio TV.

I had to go into my tv settings and change the display from vivid to any other setting. It has worked fine now

Don’t waste your time replacing power supply. I did it and it did not help. The only thing that worked is what you listed.

T-con board usually fixes it.

Dustin Smith will be eternally grateful.