Parts & Tools

Released November 4, 2017. Model A1865, A1901. Available as GSM or CDMA / 64 or 256 GB / Silver or Space Gray. (Pronounced the same as "iPhone 10.")

If you crack the back on the iPhone x is it still waterproof?

I recently cracked my Iphone x on the back, but most of the cracks appear to be internal, meaning you can't feel them. If I were to drop my iphone in water, would it be waterproof because it is just the back that is cracked?

Hey Trevor. I happen to be in the exact same situation . I just wanted to ask you what did you do eventually? Got it repaired or no??

Essential Electronics Toolkit

Small Toolkit. Big Possibilities.

Shop Toolkits

Essential
Electronics
Toolkit

Shop Toolkits

Most Helpful Answer

I would hazard to guess that it would most likely not be anymore.

You can take a look at the iPhone X Teardown, specifically Step 22. There are some good images as to why it would most likely not be anymore.

Essentially no. This is the same for any other device that has a IPX water resistance rating. If there happens to be any "breach in the security" per say. The registered waster resistance rating is thereby removed. Even if you were to get a new screen there is a chance that it may never be entirely water resistant again. Sorry to say.

There are a few factors that make it almost impossible to make the repair as watertight as it was. This also includes Apple's own repairs!

First the surfaces where the glass is attached need to be perfectly clean and not have any dings or warpage. The adhesive needs to be applied just so and then the glass surface the adhesive attaches to needs to be spotless. Even then you need a press to hold the glass to the frame so the pressure is even and held for a good 10 hours so the bonding of the adhesive is complete.

If you look at the watch makers or companies that make underwater housings they use a very different method of sealing! They use O rings so the seal is compressive. My cheap Seiko watch has been down over 60 ft SCUBA diving I wouldn't dare do that with my Apple Watch or iPhone new or serviced!

More importantly you should know, that iPhone X is not “waterproof” but “water-resistant”.

Quoting from Apple website “Splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear. “ So I’d say that whatever you do, do not drop your expensive phone in water, cracked back or not.

Yes. And now the screen won’t touch and it’s doing what it want to do.

The back of my iPhone XS is cracked. My toddler threw it in my pool and it was fine. I got it out right away and was worried because of the cracks. But no water got in. Thankfully!! Wish they just had metal backs like they used too.

Mate don’t worry, sank 12 coronas, went skinny dipping and my the phone was calm

Yes it will be waterproof still I tried it

Trevor will be eternally grateful.