Clothes dryer repair and support guides.

Kenmore Elite gas dryer not heating

I have a Kenmore Elite gas dryer. I can give the model number upon request, but it flags the message as spam if I insert it in this question.

The dryer turns on, the drum spins, the blower for the dust vent works, but the heat does not work. I have replaced the thermal fuse and the igniter, but the igniter still does not ignite. Any ideas for what to check / replace next?

Thanks.

Okay, the model number is 110 followed by 74992300.

Okay, I found the problem, after replacing the thermal fuse, the igniter, and the high limit thermostat, and testing the flame sensor and solenoids. All those were fine. The problem was the heater relay. Wish I had checked that first, but I didn't find any reference anywhere to that being a potential problem. It's the easiest thing to replace and only cost $8. Well at least my dryer is working again!

Most Helpful Answer

Cause 1

Gas Valve Solenoid

Gas dryers have two or more gas valve solenoid coils. The gas valve solenoids open the gas valve ports to allow gas to flow into the burner assembly. If a gas valve solenoid fails, the dryer won’t heat. To determine if one or more of the gas valve solenoids has failed, check the igniter. If the igniter glows and goes out but does not ignite the gas, the gas valve solenoid is defective. If one or more of the gas valve coils are defective, I recommend that you replace them as a set.

Hi, Mayer. Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is that if the solenoid fails, the igniter would still glow. Is this not always the case? My igniter does nothing.

All the parts I've tested seem to be operational, but still no heat. The igniter does not glow. Any other ideas?

The ignitor can also lose continuity. When this happens, the electricity no longer completes a circuit through the ignitor, and it no longer produces heat.

The gas valve may have failed.

I found the problem - the heater relay. Thanks for the suggestions, mayer.

What if it heats for a minute or two and then goes cold?

Mike Thorne will be eternally grateful.