iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Why is my iPhone charge going down while it's plugged in?

My iPhone's battery charge is going down while it's plugged in to my car charger. It only does this while I have the Maps app running, and as soon as I close down the app it begins to charge again.

I use this app fairly regularly and haven't had problems charging and using the app at the same time until now. Is the GPS app somehow using more power or is my battery faulty?

Quick update. Cleaned out USB connector no improvement. Will open it up for a look when I get the chance. My phone is getting rather warm at times though. Especially when running particular apps(maps and games).

by Jon Sim

Phone sometimes does get warm using these type of apps. I'd check the battery with a multimeter.. Should be 3.7,

any drop/damage to phone?

have you checked the charge cord itself?

by pollytintop

Little bit of an update.

The phone has started coming up with a message sometimes now when it's plugged into my car charger every now and then:

"this accessory does not support charging" or words to that effect.

I tried searching ifixit for it but no-one seems to have posted anything about this. Does this give any clues?

ps. I haven't got round to opening it up yet but i did clean out quite a lot of crap from the dock connector.

by Jon Sim

The search function on this site only works if people put tags in... but there may be more answers under the search dock connector?? anyway I'd give the dock connector a very thorough clean. get out a small paintbrush and really clean! it may need something like isopropyl alcohol to get ingrained dirt off the pins. (turn phone off first and disconnect logic board from battery)If that doesn't work and the battery isn't draining, I'd just put up with the alert. Ours has done that with a bose dock since day 1! Do your problems only happen with incar charger??

by pollytintop

What kind of car charger are you using? I had a USB charger that didn't deliver enough juice and my iPhone would charge and then not charge. Finally had to get rid of it. But I seem to remember a message similar to the one you describe also periodically coming up.

by Wizbang FL

maps app uses triangulation off cellphone masts... basically it's a huge battery drain as it's sending/receiving signals constantly...

It shouldn't noticeably drain your battery when it's plugged in to mains/charger though. It may be that your in-car charger isn't delivering enough power to compensate-I'm not sure what the output of in-car chargers are.. I'd start troubleshooting with the charger/USB connector; look for damaged pins/wire/dirt.

I've have many times been confronted this problem. My iPhone 5s won't charge when it's connec is pluged into the wall socket. Please hep. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I've even plugged to other sockets

by debbiegreigg

That's me it !#^&@! me off omg

by anetamhicks

What do u think it is doing??

by anetamhicks

This is happening to me also with my Xfinity TV app on my 5s. It's never happened before on any other streaming app.

by Jessica Brownlow

I'm experiencing this problem right now. I already closed all apps running but still, its reverse charging. what am i going to do? should i visit an apple service center to fix this? :(

by mcpineda17

WIFI or 3gs connections are heavy drainers of the battery. You have not mentioned what firmware/operating system is installed on your iPhone. Also if it is unlocked and jail broken. Have you tried restoring your system since you noticed this happening? You would be amazed at how many bugs that are fixed with the iPhone by doing that. You have not mentioned anything about the battery life during normal use. If the battery is on the way out it will lose amperage capacity. Amperage is the electricity. Voltage, in essence, is how fast it is moving. Please tell us more about your iPhone and your attempts to resolve the problem.

Amperage is the current (how fast the electricity flows). Voltage is the electricity. Watts is the power (the amount of electricity used).

by Tim Gelvin

PLEASE HELP MY IPHONE 5 is charging but it goes down and then goes up. I have tried everything and been to every shop they all said it was really werid

Replace battery.

by Tim Gelvin

Sounds like the battery is not taking the charge any longer. Some batteries, when they have gone completely dead, then they are DEAD and you have no choice but to replace it. Another reason is that your charger had died and needs to be replaced.

GPS uses a lot of battery. Depending on the car adapter it may not be generating more than it's using. Also I agree that if the battery has been run dead too often it will cause the battery to charge more slowly~or at all.

I found the issue is with the charger , If you connect different chargers , In the initial stage it will work But later on your phone wont accept charging any more even from the original charger came along with the device , I have tried to find the solution in many ways , I came to knew that i have to change the mobile charging socket pin

My phone charge wont go above a certain percentage then will just down charge and go back up to that certain percentage and go back down I do not know what to do someone please help me x

Replace the battery.

by Tim Gelvin

are u sure we need to change the battery?

by bonescrazy

There where some battery issues in iOS 5.0, if this is what your on then update to iOS 5.0.1 or higher

My Ipad is currently losing charge whilst on the wall adaptor , then when i plug it in to my laptop or mum's computer it says "No Charge" can anyone help me out here , i cant afford to replace it.

very helpful tips and thanks for care of our mobile by giving this type of tips always.I was one of those who would wait till the last 10% to charge the battery. Now for the short-bursts approach!

Change your setting to turn off the device when battery reaches 2%. When the device turns off, you'll know it's time to recharge.

by Tim Gelvin

Only the way I go for new genuine apple charger .

Same issue I faced in other brand phone coz of wrong charger with the New device.

So the solution is we should go for new genuine charger .

Thanks.

by salim shaikh

when i plug my iphone charger to my phone, it shows as charging but drains the battery. and now, its off but when it on charge, it becomes red but does not come on.

please what could be the cause of it draining?

Jon Sim will be eternally grateful.