1988 gmc 1500 transmission

I have a 1988 GMC 1500 the transmission just stopped working and I can't get it to go in low gear 4 wheel drive or anything what could possibly be the problem if it's not just a totally bad transmission.

Hi Robert, are you not able to get it into any gear, or just that you can't get it to go into 4WD-Low?

Just a thought, you may not have the linkage attached to the transmission, if your trouble is you have no 4 wheel drive there is a clutch sort of electric solenoid that shifts the truck into any 4 wheel operation. You shove the handle to 4 x 4 and a electric switch energizes the 4 x 4 action, could be a fuse or the wiring snapped off or the coil is burnt.

@budrob "in low gear 4 wheel drive or anything" what is anything? What have you tried? Did this just start all of a sudden? Give us more information about your vehicle and what happened.