Featuring a 14" screen and Windows 7 Professional 64, the ProBook 4440s can be identified by model number C6Z33UT.

DC power jack worn out

This computer no longer charges when I plug it in. I cleaned both the male and female plug contacts carefully, and for about a year, I could finesse the plug a little, then the charging indicator light would change from orange to white, and all was well, but even that doesn't work anymore. Recently I bought a new charger and plug harness. Using the new charger helped a little, but not enough. I think the port itself is worn out. What tools do I need besides an anti-static mat, and a star key wrench set to install the new plug and wire harness? Will the do-it-yourself videos on YouTube provide enough guidance to do this safely?

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

From a quick Google it looks like this should be fairly straightforward. Sometimes the problem is not actually with the socket itself but that a piece of plastic holding it in place is broken, so that when you push the power connector in it simply pushes the socket further into the case rather than fully engaging with it. In such cases you have to use a bit of ingenuity. Epoxy glue can come in handy.

As for tools you just need screwdrivers, but the iFixit jimmy is very helpful for releasing case clips. If the case resists then take to heart my motto: there's always one more screw!

Talking of screws, stick them to a piece of paper with blu-tac and write against each blob where they came from.

The iFixit spudger https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Tools/Pryi... is also pretty useful for releasing ribbon cables from their sockets. Take care with these - if you break the release bar then you've pretty much had it.

Don't remove the heatsink unbless you absolutely have to as you'll then need to replace the heatsink paste, and if you don't apply it correctly your processor will overheat and shut down.

Thanks very much for your thorough answer, Philip Le Riche. I will likely give it a try, and post back here with the results. It's very tempting to pay a shop to do this sort of fix since so much disassembly is involved, but it is an older laptop, and I'm optimistic that all will go well as long as I take care of the ribbon cable sockets, and remember to check for every little screw when there seems to be too much resistance. I may also order the jimmy and spudger from iFixit before getting started, too. Thanks!

Chapin Klein will be eternally grateful.