Repair guides and support for riding lawn tractors sold under the Murray brand name, currently owned by Briggs & Stratton.

Starts but won't stay running

I was given the mower, it's been sitting s while. So I've replaced battery, selenoid, cleaned air filter, new gas(was empty). If I spray started fluid in under the air filter it will start but won't run. I also put carburetor cleaner in the gas tank but a half dozen cranks later over the next 30 minutes it still won't start. Not sure how to get to the carburetor and how to clean it if I do. Looked through many diagrams here with no luck. Help!

If you search online using the mower's "model and revision number + service manual" in the search term you may be lucky to find the manual which may be of some help.

If no good post the model and revision number back here and perhaps someone here may have the answer.

You have a clogged carb, need to pull it off and clean it, most likely it is located under the seat if it is a mower like the one pictured. Also, if you follow the gas linie out of the gas tank it should lead you right to the carb.

Please post model #

Murray Select model number on motor is 283707. I think I see it behind the frame, where the gas line goes into it. There's a cup like cylinder on the bottom. I guess take the nut off that and clean?

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/briggs...

Take off part 975A, to see if the fuel is gummed up, etc...then post back.

Andy Dosdall will be eternally grateful.