iPhone 6s Touch ID working, normal home button is not

Dear Geeks,

I have done a few repairs back in the day, but im not totally up to date right now. However, I did some research but cannot find an answer for my iPhone. So here is the question.

I accedetially dropped a few water drops around the home button of my 6s. I already replaced the screen before, so its not water resistant anymore. After that, the normal 'go to home' function of the iphone did not work anymore. The touch ID works perfectly though. I have red somethings about splitting the home button on a 6 model, but I am working with an 6s. So now; can I fix the homebutton and keep the touch ID?

Kind Regards,

Badslipper (NL)

Dear Minho,

Thanks for your answer. I understand what you're saying but what is IPA 90%? I guess its not Indian Pale Ale as I know that as an IPA :) Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

Most Helpful Answer

If you're lucky, only a small amount of water got in and it stayed localized around the HB. Open up your phone and inspect the inside to see if the Water Indicator stickers are red.

Also check to see if there is any water residue or corrosion around the HB area. There might be a bit of corrosion that is impeding the actuator. You can try to clean it with IPA (>90%). Unfortunately, you cannot replace the HB and retain the Touch ID functionality. If that is important to you, you need to go to Apple for that service.

IPA - Isopropyl Alcohol

When it's 70%, it's also refereed t as rubbing alcohol.

Guus will be eternally grateful.