ApplePay no longer works (NFC antenna?)

When iPhone 6 was new ApplePay worked fine. After 6 months it would work intermittently, then about a year from purchase stopped working entirely. I took it to Apple Genius Bar. They worked with it for about 2 hours and finally said it was a hardware problem-wanted $180 to fix. After I uploaded iOS 11 on a lark I tried ApplePay again. It worked flawlessly for 5 charges. Now it activates when held near merchant's reader, but when I try to pay message of 'Holder near reader' appears and I can't make payment.

Hi David, I have this exact same issue. Apple pay is not fully broken, but works unreliably. Now, 2 months from the fix, may I ask if Apple Pay is still working on your phone?

Andrew,

You asked at an interesting time. Since l tightened the screws it has worked flawlessly dozens of times at many different retail stores until yesterday. I had my first failure at a Panera store. As I had used ApplePay twice the day before at a Whole Foods and Earthfare without incident, I'm hoping the failure was because of the merchant's device and not my iPhone. Since my apparent fix I have successfully used my ApplePay at several stores where the cashier has told me that people using ApplePay have been only intermittently successful.

Dave

3 months+ since tightening the 2 screws securing bracket attaching NFC chip to frame and mine is still working great at multiple different retailers.

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

The NFC antenna is housed within the top part of the bezel. That means there is no real antenna to replace unless you replace the entire housing. It is possible however that the NFC Bracket interconnect is damaged or was disconnected in a previous repair attempt. Follow this guide, specifically steps 33-34.

I opened iPhone case and tightened the 2 screws that secure the NFC bracket interconnect. Thus far I have successfully made 2 charges using ApplePay. Very hopeful the problem is solved; however, because of intermittent function in past I'll wait until I transact several more charges before celebrating.

Don't forget to come back here and let us know if you celebrate... :-).

I certainly will. Immediately before opening iPhone and tightening screws I tried ApplePay and it failed so I believe the odds are high that this quick fix solved the problem. If true I may contact Apple and suggest they re-title the "Genius Bar."

7 successive successful transactions at 3 different Paneras, Whole Foods, a local liquor store and Discount Tire. At 3 locations I was warned that the people trying to use ApplePay have variable success at the terminal. Mine worked flawlessly. I'd be interested to know if some of people who had issues had a bad antenna connection. I will not post any more follow-ups unless my ApplePay ceases to function.

That's great news!

I know I’m a little late to the party, but I have to throw in my two cents for anybody that is still having this problem. In short, I rebuilt my iPhone. Everything worked flawlessly. That is, except for Apple Pay. I realized this once I went to a restaurant and attempted to use Apple Pay to purchase the food, but to no avail.

So I then reopened the phone and realized that the problem laid within my re-placement of the NFC bracket interconnect, and that it was not seated correctly to ensure an electrical connection. I didn’t take any pictures to describe what I’m talking about. There’re pictures of what I’m talking about in the iFixit guide listed above, but to describe in words; the upper part of the interconnect bracket must be seated under the camera bracket, instead of over it. If placed over it (like I had it), then the plastic part of the camera bracket will act as a insulator, therefore stopping the near field communication signal from consistent successful transmission. The metal (copper) part of the interconnect needs to be touching the metal part of the housing, and screwed down tightly but not overly tight, to ensure a secure electrical connection to the antenna of the iPhone.

I hope this helps somebody out there!

-Seth

Hello . I have the same problem on iphone 6s. I bring it to the terminal - the wallet starts - and writes it to the device - the finger is scanned and the payment does not go on. I changed the NFC antenna and tightened all the bolts. nothing changes, what should I do next?

David Edwards will be eternally grateful.