ApplePay no longer works (NFC antenna?)

When iPhone 6 was new ApplePay worked fine. After 6 months it would work intermittently, then about a year from purchase stopped working entirely. I took it to Apple Genius Bar. They worked with it for about 2 hours and finally said it was a hardware problem-wanted $180 to fix. After I uploaded iOS 11 on a lark I tried ApplePay again. It worked flawlessly for 5 charges. Now it activates when held near merchant's reader, but when I try to pay message of 'Holder near reader' appears and I can't make payment.

The NFC antenna is housed within the top part of the bezel. That means there is no real antenna to replace unless you replace the entire housing. It is possible however that the NFC Bracket interconnect is damaged or was disconnected in a previous repair attempt. Follow this guide, specifically steps 33-34.

I opened iPhone case and tightened the 2 screws that secure the NFC bracket interconnect. Thus far I have successfully made 2 charges using ApplePay. Very hopeful the problem is solved; however, because of intermittent function in past I'll wait until I transact several more charges before celebrating.

Don't forget to come back here and let us know if you celebrate... :-).

I certainly will. Immediately before opening iPhone and tightening screws I tried ApplePay and it failed so I believe the odds are high that this quick fix solved the problem. If true I may contact Apple and suggest they re-title the "Genius Bar."

7 successive successful transactions at 3 different Paneras, Whole Foods, a local liquor store and Discount Tire. At 3 locations I was warned that the people trying to use ApplePay have variable success at the terminal. Mine worked flawlessly. I'd be interested to know if some of people who had issues had a bad antenna connection. I will not post any more follow-ups unless my ApplePay ceases to function.

That's great news!

David Edwards will be eternally grateful.