Household Item

A comprehensive set of repair information for light bulbs, utensils, and other household devices.

62 Questions View all

Duraflame infrared heater wire and 3 prong cord getting hot?

I have a Duraflame infrared quartz heater 5200 BTU 1500W 12.5 Amps.

When The heater is in use,I have noticed that the wire right at the prong connection is getting really hot.I have done electrical work and know this is very bad.It is a 16 GAWG cord,should replace it with a 14 GAWG cord?

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1
Add a comment

3 Answers

Chosen Solution

I'd consider a 12 gauge, but 14 at the minimum and do a web search on the unit for recalls and or harm caused by this machine. Here's a table on the maximum Amps per load carrying capacities on AWG gauge wire: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

You can get replacement cords here: http://www.omega.com/heaters/hsc.html

Was this answer helpful?

Score 3

Comments:

+ 12.5 amps go with a 12 gauge. Those heater cords do get hot

by oldturkey03

Don't forget the wiring in the wall! And the condition of the outlet its self. Are they able to support the load? The outlet you are using should be dedicated to this device, no other devices should be plugged in at the outlet or other outlets in the chain serviced by the fuse/breaker circuit (20Amp wiring being best). Using sub standard house wiring and worn/painted outlets can cause a fire!

by Dan

Add a comment

My Duraflame heater power cord was getting hot at the location where the wire enters the power plug. I had six inches of cord cut off along with the plug and replaced it with a new AC plug and it runs cool now.

I think my Duraflame heater is great.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0

Comments:

All winter we've used our duraflame heater without any issues. I woke up around 1 am to the smell of hot burnt wiring. Found that the fireplace said Er meaning something was wrong. Shut the fireplace off the Er was still flashing ended up pulling the plug from the outlet and sure enough it was in the beginning stage of fire. Hot to touch with the smell of burned wires. The outlet is correctly wired to handle only the one heater. It also is on its own breaker. What would cause it to malfunction? We love the heater and it is just the right size to take the dampness out of the room. The heater was purchased in 2014.

by kathyvp05

Add a comment

i have a duaflame heater with a motor noise how to fix this?

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Rick Riley will be eternally grateful.

View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 2

Past 30 Days: 15

All Time: 3,056