Household Item

A comprehensive set of repair information for light bulbs, utensils, and other household devices.

Duraflame infrared heater wire and 3 prong cord getting hot?

I have a Duraflame infrared quartz heater 5200 BTU 1500W 12.5 Amps.

When The heater is in use,I have noticed that the wire right at the prong connection is getting really hot.I have done electrical work and know this is very bad.It is a 16 GAWG cord,should replace it with a 14 GAWG cord?

I'd consider a 12 gauge, but 14 at the minimum and do a web search on the unit for recalls and or harm caused by this machine. Here's a table on the maximum Amps per load carrying capacities on AWG gauge wire: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

You can get replacement cords here: http://www.omega.com/heaters/hsc.html

+ 12.5 amps go with a 12 gauge. Those heater cords do get hot

by oldturkey03

Don't forget the wiring in the wall! And the condition of the outlet its self. Are they able to support the load? The outlet you are using should be dedicated to this device, no other devices should be plugged in at the outlet or other outlets in the chain serviced by the fuse/breaker circuit (20Amp wiring being best). Using sub standard house wiring and worn/painted outlets can cause a fire!

by Dan

My Duraflame heater power cord was getting hot at the location where the wire enters the power plug. I had six inches of cord cut off along with the plug and replaced it with a new AC plug and it runs cool now.

I think my Duraflame heater is great.

i have a duaflame heater with a motor noise how to fix this?

Rick Riley will be eternally grateful.