The Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport is Sprint-exclusive and designed for fitness enthusiasts.

S5 green/yellow-ish flickering screen at low brightness

Hi there! I’ve been experiencing some issues with my Samsung S5 screen recently. Basically, when I turn brightness down very low, around 7/8ths of the screen shows this greenish flicker. I can still see what’s on the screen but it just has a rapid green flicker superimposed. It’s not an issue when I have normal brightness set. Furthermore, when I press the lock button to lock the phone, the screen also flickers green before it goes black. Hopefully this is enough detail to help identify the issue. P.S. I am yet to update to Marshmallow. And the phone is relatively well looked after– barely dropped etc since I got it 1 year ago.

I just wanna know if i ignore this problem and use it at normal brightness, will the problem progress??

I also have this problem, although the phone i bought from friend have about 4 or 5 years. Screen flicker when low brightness and when locking/unlocking the phone (when it fades to black or from black). Many sites says to check in "programmers option" to disable GPU overlay, but for me it didn't helped. Temporary solution - install screen filter from google play and use it to control brightness. Long term solution - I still haven't found it :/

Go to Settings, then Display, then Brightness. Uncheck (switch-off) automatic brightness. My flickering problem was fixed.

Most Helpful Answer

It's a common issue with s5 series screens having too much pressure put on it over time.

Solution is to replace screen but that's expensive for an phone this old.

I hate my Samsung S5 mobile I am on a pension & am still paying off this phone it is playing up before it is paid off??

I had this issue for a long time. I thought it was hardware related or even heat, but it wasn’t. It’s not till I upgraded my phone, that I reformatted the S5 completely (clearing everything cache etc). Once I reformatted the problem disappeared (I also removed the memory card). I didn’t install any apps at all and the phone is just used as a spare for calls. In my opinion it is therefore app related, or an app that affects things. It is irritating to have to reformat, but it did fix the problem which was exactly the same as you described.

My phone would flicker at low manual brightness, or once the phone light fades and is about to go off, it flickers in a weird greeny/yellowy way.

Aladin Msallem will be eternally grateful.