Hewlett-Packard began manufacturing personal laptop computers in 1993.

Certain keyboard buttons malfunction randomly

Dear fixers,

I have been having a problem with my hp laptop. Some keyboard buttons malfunction randomly forcing me to use an external keyboard.

This problem happened after upgrading to Windows 10 ( a year ago) however it wasn't happening that often.

I thought it would be a software problem, so I tried to uninstall, reboot, and let the keyboard reinstall it's own drivers. Unfortunately that didn't help. I have as well formatted my Windows and reinstalled it. Still problem is there.

Therefore I opened my laptop in order to check the cables. They seemed fine to me no cut nor damage. ( I took every single piece of hardware out of the laptop. )

What's interesting is that if I press the middle row of the keyboard from the (enter) button to the caps lock and back to the enter (escape) button these malfunctioning buttons come back to work as long as I keep using them. Takes seconds of not pressing any of them to malfunction again.

Swiping from escape button to caps lock and back again turns them on for some reason.

The buttons are: F K H L " escape.

Any help appreciated!

Sorry for making this long. I had to list everything I have tried so far.

Can you tell us your exact model?

Hi @inux ,

As you are experiencing no problems when using an external keyboard I suggest that you replace the laptop's keyboard, as in trying to fix it you can create more problems than what you had before you started.

Search online for HP (insert model number) service manual and you will most probably find a HP download link for the manual. It will have instructions on how to remove the keyboard (which you already know how to) and more importantly, the part number for the keyboard, which you can use to search online for suppliers of the part

Alameen will be eternally grateful.