0

Andreas88
1

Ear speaker on iPhone 4 suddenly very low, near mute.

My iphone 4 is a 16 gb, about a half year old.

I have replaced the front screen- everything went smooth and the new screen worked like a charm. But after three weeks or so, the ear speaker suddenly just became extremely low or in normal noise impossible to detect any sound.

So now im stuck with talking with the speaker on or using a headset. Which is not too cool..

I have done the works as far as i know for the software. Hard restart, and use itunes for resetting the phone to original settings.

None of these matters have worked though. I´m not that technically advanced when it comes to electronic. So i am just wondering if any of you could give any tips how i should fix it.

Is it a hardware error or software? The speaker works, like i can turn it up and down with the volume buttons, but its all extremely low, aka useless. Or is there somehow a software error that may have dialed the whole volume setting down somehow?

Its probably hardware error and my apple guarantee is no longer valid as i have changed the front screen. Should i try to replace the ear speaker myself or admit defeat and pay up for a pro to do it?

Hope you guys have any good ideas!

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Andrew Bookholt ( )

haha, worked -awesome.

joewhiting,

25

Ian
331

I have had the same problem which I have just solved.

As strange as this sounds the remedy I found was to place my mouth over the ear speaker and suck inward a few times, now my speaker is back to full volume. Hope this helps.....

I had gotten melted chocolate on my phone and wiped it with a cleaning wipe, suddenly my ear speaker was at such a low volume it was almost impossible to hear. I started sucking in on the speaker but not enough cause thought it was silly, so didn't work. I then stumbled upon this site, and Ian thank you so much for the tip, it worked!! I sucked in on the speaker again, this time harder, and voila, the speaker is back to full volume!! Sounds like it just became obstructed. THANKS!

blueyorker,

I have had the same problem. For the last week or so, I have hardly been able to hear anyone on the other end of the call.. I tried the trick with headphones, I tried cleaning all around the speaker and everything else i could find on the net. Finally i read this thread and tried Ian's suggestion about putting your mouth over the ear piece and sucking in a few times... and hey presto, it worked!!! I cant believe it! its awesome!

Jess,

Thanks lan method did worked for me aswell

Abdul Haseeb,

Hoooray!! Thank you for all the advise. I dampened a qtip with rubbing alcohol rubbed the speaker opening and then dried it with the dry end of qtip several times then gave it a couple of quick blows - and its working again!

installationbyecs,

tried sucking it, didn't work. replaced earspeaker, didn't work. tried sucking really hard AND IT WORKED!!! APPLE TRIED TO CHARGE 317 EUROS BECAUSE IT GOT WET?!!! NO IT DID NOT i'm so happy :-)

iwillfix,

2

Mark Waterfield
25

My wife had the same problem with her iPhone 4. The earpiece speaker suddenly went very quiet almost muted so you could hardly hear the caller.

I tried some of the other suggestions such as sucking and blowing on the earpiece but no joy. I was about to order a new earpiece speaker and some tools when I though to try one last go at cleaning the area with a very tiny pin.

I scraped the surface of the speaker and got a few bits of dirt etc out, and then tried sticking the tip of the pin into the speaker mesh and pushing it up, down left and right slightly to see if it had come loose from the connectors. This appears to have worked as the earpiece speaker is now back to normal and working fine.

Thanks for the tips. Great site...!

Worked for me. I didn't use a pin but something less sharp so as not to damage the speaker

Aram Attarian,

Same problem. I tried The Suck & got some relief, but Aram's suggestion got my phone back to full functionality. I created a Speaker Scraper™ by straightening a staple and sticking it into a pencil-mounted eraser. That gave me good control while avoiding the possibility of snagging the speaker mesh. Thanks, Aram and iFixit!

macartisan,

2

Old Profile
578
Device Savers

Like you read above, the sucking remedy can work great. Normally the speakers just have something blocking them if they sound low.

If sucking does work, you can alway try a tooth brush or eyebrow brush to clean the small mesh that sits over most speakers.

If the speaker is completely out, it may be time for a new one.

Hope this helps!

Great answer to an old question :-) you might want to try a newer question that has not yet been accepted/answered

Thank you old turkey, as dumb as this sounds I just saw the dates lol

Old Profile,

You just saw the dates???? Did you not see the other 30 same answers on here then? LOL.

Clems,

1

charles
13

Have you taken a closer look at the speaker assembly? Making sure the pins are not bent and that it's secured to the induction flex proximity sensor?

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/qV35f...

The location that the speaker connects to is part of the induction flex ribbon cable.

http://www1.dealextreme.com/productimage...

It's often overlooked that you have to remove this part in order to fix this ribbon. It wasn't very securely attached to the ribbon so I think this should be worth a look. The only downside is you have to remove the logic board to look into this.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/mXXSH...

I had some buzzing and low volume from my iPhone and reseating the speaker to the cable fixed it.

0

cucb
13

I spilled my Iphone with sweet juice. I tried toothbrush cleaning and air compression. It didnt work.

Then i wet toothbrush with a little saliva and tried again. It worked.

Dried juice was dissolved and earspeaker volume increased perfectly

hope this will help

0

Mark
1

When a speaker is working but has very low volume it is usually a hardware issue. Speakers work using two wires, One is signal and the other is ground. If one of the cables is lose the speaker will still work but will be very soft. Try unplugging and re-plugging the speaker in and look for broken ribbons.

0

stefen ronald
1

if the i phone 4g key pad sound is heard and ear speaker is not working it goes to loud speaker it is the complaint of the induction proximity cable that is the on/off switch cable replace it , it will work

0

Marty
1

This worked for me aswell!! I remember now dripping some icecream on the speaker mesh, I wiped it off and forgot about it, but then this speaker problem started happening. I cleaned it with a wet toothbrush as someone suggested and sucked on it, definitely improved the volume problem. I can now hear when speaking with someone through the ear speaker!!!

0

alison rivera
1

I spilled paint on my iphone 4S and the speaker problem happened to me too! but i just tried scrapping it out with the end of a pair of scissors and a key and it made it slightly better. and after sucking on it for a while, it is now completely fine! thank god for this thread it saved me time and money !!

0

leicafly
1

The blow job method worked for me as well. I guess sometimes our iphones just get tired of listening to our schitt.

0

jack
1

I had the same problem!! What you gotta do is (if you have one) use a nipple pump, and place it on the speaker, and start pumping hard and fast!! Once you create enough suction, it will suck the protien right out of your speaker! and then it will be good as new! Good Luck and happy pumping!! :)

- Jack Dixon

Pueblo, CO

719-334-1946

0

melissa
1

omg this really works! lol too funny

0

Xiaolong Cui
1

thank you so much. it realyy works with sucking.this method save me a trip to apple store. Espcecially, i have to go back to Dallas for app store replacement or repair, since I am now in Mexico city. It is so amazing. My wife and I decide to suck my iphone 10 minutes every day in next week. thank you again, lan

0

matija
1

blow with compressed air into speaker and works o.k.

I was try to change speaker but did not help.

0

Scott
1

Awesome fellas. I tryed sucking on the ear speaker quite a few times, and it did make it a bit louder. So I decided to get the vacume cleaner ready to suck. I then sprayed contact cleaner into the speaker, sprayed some more, (soaked it!) after a bout 10s I jammed the vacume cleaner nozzel onto it sealing it off. Pushing it on and off really fast and aggressively (thinking fix it or stuff it) and Vola, my speaker is loud as brand new.!!! I'm wrapped !!! It is really loud !

0

jokullsig
1

Another one confirminging that the sucking worked!! I seriously thought this was a brilliant gag, but it worked.. Thanks a million.

0

chris
1

embarrassingly sucking actually worked. amazing.

0

Lonnie McCoy
1

Ok I tried this and it only works temporarily but then gets low again in like 2 seconds. So everytime I suck air through the speaker opening the sound goes normal like a said for about 2 seconds then it's back to low volume again. Why isn't it working? I even disassembled my 4s and took the lcd off and replaced the speaker cover, blew it out with an air compressor and no dice. Any suggestions?

0

RAju
1

Working my ear speaker amazingly after sucking and brushed with wet tooth brush...thanks guys..

0

DDOT
1

It worked. My wife was unsuccessful manually. So I brushed it with a wet toothbrush and then hooked it to the shop vac and sounds great now.

0

Lynda Klose
1

I tried sucking the ear piece and my volume returned about 50%! Next I used my vacuum attachment hose and the strong suctioned returned my volume to 100% working order! Thank you!!! I've been without my phone for over a month now!!! Thank you so much!!!

0

Justin
1

I've had 2 4s iphones do this and never could make them work again.

You wouldn't by chance work in a weld shop or other area with tiny metal airborne particles?

I'm beginning to think that's why mine died. I noticed these little dark "dust" particles settling on the ear speaker grill when I came home from work. When holding a magnet over the grill, I noticed that the particles jumped out and stuck to the magnet.

Hate to think how much of it I'm breathing daily.

anyway, I believe the ear speaker magnet must be fairly strong and is sucking these metal particles into the grill where they cannot get out once stuck to the speaker.

I think they are either muffling the speaker by covering it, or posiibly shorting out the speaker.

This is all a theory I have. This time, I covered the speaker grill opening with a strip of velcro loop material to hopefully keep the metal dust out of this one. We will see if it also dies.

The magnetic attraction would explain why blowing it out with compressed air did not clear the debris in my case.

0

Cash
1

Wow Justin!… This is the 2nd iPhone I have the speaker issue with, And Yes, I am a Welder/Metal Fabricator. I used to have a trick where as I would put a magnet in a rubber glove and rub it over any opening to pull the metal dust out of the speaker ports (thats the trick I use to get bits of metal out of my eyes). That worked GREAT with my 3gs BUT it seems that the magnet is what is causing it to fail in my iPhone 4s. Seems to start as soon as I try it. I had tried to keep the 4s in a life proof case but that was for from dust proof so now I keep it in a SeaLine dry bag made for iPhones. unfortunately, the sucking and blowing hasn't worked for me yet.

0

cowboybudha
1

Here's my 2 cents. I'm an engineer at a memory manufacturing company and these stupid Iphones are intimidating. Anyway, I tried to suck on it and it wouldn't fix it. Today I swabbed 91% rubbing alcohol on the ear piece and while it was still wet, poked a needle into the holes of the screen. After that I sucked on it and then ran a blow dryer on it for a few minutes. This worked. Awesome post. Thanks

0

Ebrahim Hasan
1

it work with me with some hard sucking

Thank You

0

aaron
1

a kinder egg exploded in my pocket the other night. i did this sucky thing earlier. it felt weird like i was giving my phone a blow job or something. it didnt work so i basically deep throated the thing. it was like the ultimate phone blowie. now it wont even turn on. i presume all my saliva has gotten into the phone now. any one any suggestions please?

aaron

suck it dry? lol you made me laugh

iwillfix,

0

vijay
1

even it's worked for me.... Thanku so much

0

Julieth Ramirez
1

It worked!! I sucked that ear speaker 3 times and it started working fine again thanks for the tip.

0

Oddedi
1

Mine earphone loudspeaker became very weak. So I cleaned the metal screen with a dump tooth brush and then dried it with 15 seconds of cold air from a blower. I added some sucking, and the voice became loud and clear. So simple

Oddedi

0

yoby Nicholson
1

Another one confirminging that the sucking worked!! I seriously thought this was a brilliant gag, but it worked.. Thanks a million.It really worked.I'm a sucking believer now.Thanks for the tip.Who would have thought this little gag would work!Again Thanks.

yoby

0

kiran Azhar
1

oh yes it work please dont suck just bang bang your iphone from top side 2 to 3 times it start working .....

0

Marvin Ballard
1

Believe or not, the first answer worked. When I pulled off the plastic protective sheet from my new digitizer, a small piece of plastic stayed and was covering the ear hole. When I sucked in a few times on this ear hole, a small piece of plastic came out in my mouth. Evidently when I peeled off teh protective plastic sheet, a small piece stayed behind and was covering the ear hole. I couldn't see it due to it being transparent. Afterwards, Volume went up 2X.

Thanks OP!!!

0

Chas
1

Worked. what can you say. Used the suck method and then an electric toothbrush "between teeth" attachment and then sucked again. Tried a test call and had to move it away from my ear because the voicemail prompt voice was so loud.

When I took the Otterbox case off, it looked like a sunscreen buildup on the actual phone surface around the earphone. Guess that explains that.

Edited by: Chas ( )

0

Robert
1

Thanks, everyone for your input! I tried everything mentioned here- the compressor air, banging the phone face down, poking holes, sucking. But then... I couldn't find rubbing alcohol, so I used acetone(nail polish remover) with a toothbrush and my frustration is over!

0

indasmoke
1

Nice topic!! I was just about to replace my ear speaker and I read this. Mine was not working at all, so not even a smallest sound from it... I sukit it a few times.. and it didn't work... So I said mine has to be interruptend somewhere and is a serious problem... But then I read again iwillfix's reply, and tryed to suck again really really hard.... Somehow suddenly it came back to life at full volume !!!! So if some of you tryed and didn't work from first time, try again more harder.... Thanks

0

Derek
1

The sucking just worked for me too. Thanks for posting guys.

0

Omar Ezzedin
1

thanks, to all of you

i started with sucking, cleaning and after that the using the needle i started to go around the edges, clearing some dirt, while doing that i found the silver grill could be moved around, i put the needle on the edges between the grill and the cover, i found plastic ring coming out, i remove it slowly and, it works :)

i was testing with my telephone customer care operator after every move

0

rossneil
1

I just sucked. it works!

0

saef
1

man it worked for me too

0

jmorgan475
1

I bought a iPhone 4 off Craigslist got it activated everything worked great! Except the ear speaker, went to Verizon and they showed me where the phone had been water damaged, I thought great I'm screwed! Also guy at Verizon didn't even know whether you could replace it or not, chances are he knew the ear speaker could be replaced but more hoping on a new sale is my guess!! I come home see if it something I could do, found this sight and at first sucking didn't work, so I cleaned the screen with alcohol then sucked with a vacuum!!! And waaalaa it works great thank you!!!!

0

Felix Korff
1

sounded weird to mebut i tried the combi of sucking and a wet toothbrush and after 10 minutes of scrubbing and sucking my speaker is back to normal volume *___* its so amazing!!

0

Abby Goron
1

Yet another person saying this method worked! I spilled a bit of a milkshake on it yesterday and my call volume was very low. I just cleaned it out with a slightly damp toothbrush and sucked in several times on the earpiece and voila! Good as new.

0

emmatenkate
1

Wow , I spilt cooking oil on my phone yesterday and volume very muted and muffled , tried sucking method a few times and it worked !!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much !!!!!

0

melissa
1

I tried sucking on the ear piece, lightly scrubbing earpiece with a toothbrush, drying it with a q-tip, then sucking again. IT WORKED!!! I am canceling my appointment at the apple store!!

0

golfwidowsims
1

This is the best Internet Help I have ever received!!! Absolutely Brillliant!!!

0

Rachit Taneja
1

The problem is of the thick layer dust on the earpiece... I just cleaned it with a pointed pin(I use sim ejector pin) and volume is back to its original.

The sound quality is awesome !! Pls do it on own risk but this is the only solution to get the original sound !

0

indyelectronix
1

This is the best thread ever!

BTW...had same problem with customer's phone...sucking off the phone didn't help :(

0

Bobby Oswald
1

My earpiece in my 4S has never worked since I got it from the factory when they first came out. Then I found this thread. Tried sucking as hard as physically possible, tried blowing, tried the wet toothbrush followed by a big shop vac...no luck. About to try restoring my 4S to factory settings through iTunes in case it is a software problem (I think I already tried that a long time ago though). I also have a new OEM ear piece on the way to replace the original. If none of that works...I guess it's a good thing I'm ordering the 5S in a couple days. :)

UPDATE: Tried resetting my 4S to factory specs. Guess what! No luck. Tore my phone apart, installed my new OEM earpiece, and reassembled it. Voila! I can finally talk on my phone like a normal person, now that I am about to get rid of my device. *facepalm*

Edited by: Bobby Oswald ( )

0

ash
1

excellante, jubilante...

sucking worked like magic..

good on you internet and guys in the internet world.

Peace out

0

Kellie Snider
1

I switched to iPhone about a year ago, and this earpiece volume thing is just the latest in a series of problems I've had with it. I have an iPhone 3 for work and a personal iPhone 4S. The work iPhone's earpiece volume is fine despite the same upgrades, but the volume on my personal phone is so low it's basically useless. I can put it on Speaker, but then it's so loud everyone in the area can hear my calls. The only way I can use my phone as a phone is if I'm alone.

I'll be switching back to Droid after this eternal contract is up.

KSS

0

heavenono
1

Above all guys ! Congrts for all the magic that happened to u all atlast we all r happy . Actually its a simple science that dust has magnetic particles in it n wen it comes in contct with speakers it get stuck on it or the meshwork of any phones designs .. Sucking in this case as well as applying any lightly wet tooth brush could easywiped it out and works as a charm .. So thats a simple lession for all dont neglect yr phone bcz somehow its has became a part of our lifestyle n we couldnt libe without it , keep it always cleen n well maintained .. Thnks guys !!

0

Dustin Harris
1

Why do you guys keep buying apple..... I will sell you a piece of !@#$ phone and put apples name on it and I guarantee people will line up around the globe to buy it just for the name.

That's like a guarantee on a box for auto parts... I will guarantee you anything will work as long as you Guy's keep buying my overpriced auto parts, just because it has a guarantee on the box... or apple on it.. that company died with Steve jobs.. he was the heart and soul of the company he was a perfectionist....

0

Stefani Mandanici
1

Omg this completely worked for me too! I swear I was going to throw the phone into te wall and then this!!!!! Complete life saver thank you so much

0

Stephen Baxter
1

hahha just tried it and it works what a good sucker i am lol

0

rama kumar
1

sucking did the magic.Apple told me to replace the screen for $149

0

ro docs
1

thanks saved me from taco bell , i had spilled sour cream on the !@#$ speaker.

Tooth brushed it, qtipped it nada.

Sucked on her, works heck of a lot better now.

0

Jay
1

Thank you Ian, tried the sucking method after all sorts of cleaning & bob's you uncle, all sorted, thanks again, absolutely bonkers but works..

0

Carre
1

Absolutely. I had the same problem on the iPhone5 and it worked for me too. The earspeaker volume was really low and difficult to hear any conversation despite putting volume to the max. You have to suck really hard so that vacuum is created in the earspeaker, If it does not work the first time, keep trying. For me it worked at the 3rd try. Thank you.

0

Jennie McMullen
1

Sucking worked for me too!!!

0

Clems
13

OMG! I can't believe how much difference this makes. I had the very same issue with an iPhone 4 and I tried the suggestion of giving it a clean with a toothbrush (I used a soft babys toothbrush) and it worked like a charm!

I can hear people again! Cheers for the tip! ;)

Is it me or is everyone who gives advice on this topic just repeating what's already been said?

Edited by: Clems ( )

0

Rich Ward
1

I had the EXACT same problem...I could not figure this out. So i looked closely, I removed the pre-shipped, clear protective cover from the front.....PRESTO, sound is magically working!

Thank you so much! lol and yes...I am serious.

0

Mark
1

Had the same problem. Worked a treat. The mist weird solutions are always the best

0

Dave
1

it does work by sucking the ear speaker out but What works even better is using a vaccum cleaner for about 5 seconds ... Swarve...

0

Clems
13

I would advise against using a vacuum cleaner on sensitive equipment such as a mobile phone as the static created from the cleaner *could* damage the phone.

0

pratheeshdb
1

I just sucked through earpiece. It worked. Wierd way of fixing iphone. Effective and simple though

0

robert b
1

Yes! Result. Ive done this before with a pair of in ear buds, sucking the metal mesh seems to work if clogged up. The other day i spilled cappucino all over my iphone4s, not long after i had cleaned up the phone, my earpeice vol became very low. This time i used an earbud soaked in saliva pressing the fluid into the mesh then sucked it out quite strongly a few times and it really worked well, i can imagine the sticky coffee mix was glueing the speaker diaphram up.... I could actually taste the coffee coming out as i sucked!

0

Claudia
1

Seriously that is too funny! I got freaked out because I could not hear a thing on my phone - about to go to AT&T or Apple and decided to check the internet first. It really works - you just suck it clear? LOLOL! No S, the real deal, now it's loud and clear again :P

Not sure who it was, I think ppl mentioned Ian, but thanks for saving me who knows how much money!! God Bless! <3

0

Bobbi Anderson
1

This sounds like a bad adult movie...I have brushed, poked, banged and sucked until I feel like I am going to faint. The whole routine did keep me busy for an hour but my phone still has very low volume and needs to go on speaker to hear. Did I mention I tried blowing it clean with compressed air? I will try in the morning maybe my skill is better. Would love for it to work it is the only problem with the phone. Then again, I think you should be able to actual use the phone to receive and make phone calls.

0

Clems
13

It sounds like you may have inadvertently blown more crap into the earpiece rather than remove it.

Try cleaning it with a cotton bud (preferably with a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol or if you haven't got that, wet the bud so it is damp - do not soak it in water though) or use a very soft toothbrush. If it still doesn't work then it sounds like the earpiece speaker will need to be replaced - it's quite an easy (and cheap) job to do. There are lots of tutorials on the net to help you with this.

Good luck :)

0

Carolyn
1

I got my Iphone 4s from a guy at a nail salon and I cant hear anything out of it either. It looks clogged but dont know what to use to clean it that won't damage it. Any ideas??

0

Clems
13

Use a cotton bud dipped in rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) which can be bought from ebay. Make sure it is at least 99% pure though, do NOT use the 70% pure or less as this is mixed with water and could damage the phone.

It has to be at least 99% pure (if you can get 100% pure then even better).

0

Monica
1

The sucking blowing method did not work for me, but I could hear the sound changing slightly better to slightly worse. I cleaned the Area with a qtip and peroxide and it works perfectly now.

0

Engadineddie
1

Had same problem after replacing screen myself, could hardly hear anyone talking, so I sucked and I sucked and low and behold........ I could hear again. thanks for the info guys.

0

danny
1

Best idea ever. fixed my iPhone 5s, Chocolate melted into my ear speaker and read this a day later. had to make out with my iPhone for 20 minutes sucking pretty hard. but its as good as new. Thanks a lot.

0

Charmaine Norton
1

Bless you! Using a damp q-tip to clean first and then suck the speaker brought my volume back! I was ready to throw my iPhone 4 into the street (or maybe just upgrade!) because I was thinking it had become a piece of crap! Then I got smart and googled the issue and found this site! I'm so happy! Thank you!!!

0

Abhoy Baruah
1

thanks a lot bros... it helped... the sound improved greatly.... i soaked the brush in saliva and then brushed the mess to and fro , up and down , on the sides... and wow!!! itz working now....

0

Shirley
151

I guess I can give you solution for your iPhone 4 which has problem with its ear speaker which is suddenly very low as you said nearly mute. This is a very simple problem to fix for most cases: Take a natural hair paintbrush (or anything with bristles softer than the ones on a soft toothbrush) and gently clean out the earpiece grille with a side-to-side motion. Then use the brush (and this is why it has to be natural hair) and gently push the bristles onto the earpiece grille (that is, perpendicular to its surface). Natural hair bristles are tapered at the tips, and they can pierce and dislodge dirt, which has clogged the grille mesh to the extent that it attenuates volume considerably.

Try this and let me know if it works.

Edited by: Scott Dingle ( )

0

Sven Arits
35

The sucking method just worked on my customers iPhone 4. I also removed a lot of trash from the earmesh with my tweezers.

0

shyperera
1

Hey its working... thanks for da awesm point'

0

manny
1

I just bought a used iPhone 4S from a guy on Craigslist and was so excited about the price I paid for it. Took it to AT&T to get a new SIM card and activated (for free) and thought I was done. I called my wife and was barely able to hear her. I was so !@#$%^ when I got home that I wanted to call the guy I bought the phone from to cuss him out. I started looking on Google and found this blog and thought - it's worth a shot. After using a q-tip with rubbing alcohol, lots and lots of sucking and a damp toothbrush,,,the problem went away!! Now I'm wondering if this guy gave me such a great deal because he was trying to pawn it off on me....well, at this point I don't care. Keep trying all the activities I mentioned above...before you sell your phone, pay to fix it or attempt to cuss someone out. Good luck.

0

Linux Natal
1

suck is not helping, but ethanol is helping, yeah

0

Kari
1

I must admit, I was very skeptical at first about this whole sucking the earpiece deal, but I felt like I had exhausted all my avenues so said what the heck. I sucked on it a few times while my husband sat in the other room giggling. I called him from my phone and to my amazement the sound had gotten better. I put some alcohol on a qtip and ran it across the earpiece a few times, sucked a few more times (this time it didn't taste so great) and voila!! Back to full volume. Thank you!!

0

Ashley Robinson
1

the person who wrote the first comment your acutally a life saver right about now :D

Thanks Ian

0

jitu4u21
1

Hey..I was having same issue with my iphone 4.But I used a toothbrush after sukcking 3 -4 times and it works like a charm for me.

thanks...

0

jitu4u21
1

Woo..This sucking method also worked me.I was facing very low volume on my iphone 4.So, I sucked 3-4 times in earphone and then I used my toothbrush and clean it deeply and it working as usual..

Thanks.....

0

AwakenJornie
1

I have this too.

Replaced the iPhone 4S screen and now the volume is near mute.

Blowing or sucking the earpiece speaker didn't help.

I made a post myself but no answers yet.

Please help!

0

Clems
13

Before we go into details about what it could be, have you tried my suggestion above using rubbing alcohol?

Dip a cotton bud (or do you guys in the US call it a q-tip or something like that?) in the rubbing alcohol and clean the mesh with it. You may need to do this a few times and then use a clean cotton bud to wipe away the excess. You can also use a toothpick to scrape the mesh to see if any dirt comes off as well but I really wouldn't use the sucking method as you may end up swallowing a load of earwax or other muck (gross!).

Silly question but have you checked your volume settings? It may also simply be that you need to change the ear speaker in the phone.

Tried all that. Nothing worked.

AwakenJornie,

How many times did you clean it with a q tip and rubbing alcohol? You may have to do it several times and you will also need to (carefully) scrape it with a toothpick or something similar. If that still fails, then you may need to replace the ear speaker on the iphone (I know it may be a silly question, but you have checked the volume settings on the phone , right?)

Clems,

0

Denise
1

Thank you for your help. Didn't work at first and I told my husband what I was trying to do. My husband told me "it's a prank and your sucking your phone?" He laughs so hard. So today I tried the q tip with alcohol, then I used a paper clip end to scrape it and then sucked a few times it again and voila, have my ear sound again. Amazing. Off to clean out my mouth now. lol

Glad I could be of help :)

Clems,

0

mark
1

My Volume was working until it became so faint that it was impossible to hear anything at all, it was my own fault from continually spraying window cleaner onto the phone, I hate germs!

Anyway with all the info posted on this site, I devised a really good method to really get a good suction, a drinking straw, initially It didn't seem to be working but after a few attempts and using rubbing alcohol and a small brush, I have successfully managed to get the volume VERY LOUD again, thanks goodness for the internet.

Edited by: mark ( )

0

Clems
13

Just to add to other success stories on here, I saw that someone had cleaned their phone with a qtip and water!!!!

Try to avoid cleaning your phone with water as it could end up damaging the phone. If you have to use water, make sure you use a damp (not wet) cotton bud/q-tip) Where possible, always use rubbing alcohol as this evaporates and is the safest liquid you can use for cleaning electronic equipment.

Edited by: Clems ( )

0

Eddie Waters
1

If you have an iPhone and there is an issue with the in-call earpiece speaker, then it is most definitely an issue with the iPhone itself, not the IOS version. To address all the comments that say it did not work when you cleaned the speaker, then you DID NOT do it correctly. The ear piece speaker should be a visible silver color if it is clean. The method I utilized was a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol. You have to make sure that you squeeze to Q-tip to sharpen the end so that it can actually reach into the ear piece speaker to clean in. There is a lot of dirt in there that you would not expect to find. Once you have used the Q-tip with alcohol on it a few times then se a dry Q-tip to dry and finish the cleaning process and it should not work correctly. If you can not see the clean speaker (Meaning you don't see any dirt) then you did't clean it good enough. This method is a 100% fix.

0

Basant Dubey
1

i spilled honey on my iphone while playing fussball.... the earpiece volume suddenly went very low.

thanks for this thread, i tried the sucking, hair dryer, toothbrush and cleaning with wet wipe .... the earpiece volume is back to normal now....

thanks all...