iPhone 3GS

Revamped version of the iPhone 3G with faster processing speeds. Repair of this device is similar to the 3G, and requires simple screwdrivers and prying tools. Model A1303 / 16 or 32 GB capacity / black or white plastic back.

Possessed iPhone! It's doing it's own thing! Started with home button.

I think I may know what I did wrong now that I look back...I had yanked this old iphone cable from my iphone without realizing that it had those side lock buttons...

Then my home button stopped working. I took it in and they told me to re install everything. I did that twice and it went to the emergency screen. So I brought it back...and they said they'd fix it only to tell me that they couldn't because I had "unlocked" it and therefore voided the warranty. I actually had to ask them what "unlocking" was!!!!

Anyways, so frustration aside, I picked it up today and was able to restore everything from my backup. But then it started acting up. Now the screen goes back and forth as if fingers where swiping to the search screen or the second screen of apps. If I open an app, it automatically goes back to the home screen and then jumps around to other things. It's acting like it's possessed!!

Anyone know what's really wrong here?

kathryn, this is happening since you restored it? have you tried to restore it again? Do you know which firmware you have? And is it unlocked and/or jailbroken?

by oldturkey03

Oh yes and please remove the phone from any case you may have on it. Remove the screen protector too if you have one on there and try it again.

by oldturkey03

My home button stopped working out of the blue. Not related to any upgrade of the os. I brought it to the store and she suggested it was because I hadn't upgraded. So I upgraded and nothing changed. Then a week later I brought it back and she told me to do a hard reset. Tried that several times and then did a restore several times as well, but it could never fully restore properly. It would go to the emergency screen (but I was able to back it up).

So finally they sent it away, and it came back in a few days because they "claimed" that I had unlocked or jailed broke it. I didn't even know what that was and had to ask them to explain it to me. I told them it was impossible. So, anyways they kept to their story and told me the warranty was now void.

by kathryn

Fast forward a couple months, by pushing the cable in and holding it more tightly I was able to restore completely from the back up. Then it started acting like it's possessed.

The home button was never fixed. So now if I hold the usb cord in more tightly I can make the home button work, but now it's going crazy, as if a ghost was moving things around.

by kathryn

By the way, thanks so much for the help so far.

by kathryn

Most Helpful Answer

The home button problem may be related to damage to the dock connector when you removed the USB, if you take a look at the dock connector part you can see on the top some gold squares which are the contact points for the bottom of home button. You may find that if you open the phone the dock connector is loose or moved/broken mounting screws, which is why you have contact problem. Depending on what you find either repair the mount or replace the dock.

The problem with the touch screen may be resolved by just reseating the cables for the touchscreen, no2. it may be that the nice people who claim your phone to be unlocked and jailbroken have not put the phone back together properly! have a look at the connection, make sure it's not damaged or dirty, reseat connection, reset phone and see what happens.

Old turkey makes a good point about screen protector and covers.. they may be tricking your digitiser!

kathryn, you could try doing a hard reset. Hold down the lock and home button for 25 seconds. then turn it back on.

It that does not totally resolve it then do another restore. Hold the home button then plug it in to you computer, that will start the restore process. Of course make sure you back it up before you do this so you don't loose any data. Now what about the home button? Did it get fixed, does it need to get fixed? What is it doing that you think it needs to be fixed. Are there any other issues with the phone that could be responsible for that. It is possibly that all your issues are related to an upgrade if your hardware is okay.

Replace the dock connector assembly about $10 on ebay and about a 15 minute fix for me anyways. The home button makes contact to that board and these do go bad. Thats why your holding the cable in and it is somewhat working. You can also replace the home button also that is a bit more involved but the part is again like $6 or so. Spend the $20 and have someone who can take it apart and fix it for you will work like new again.

Please let me know if that worked for you. I'm having the same issue with my new iPhone 5s! :(

I have found that using some cheap after-market chargers causes my iPhone5s to do that. It quits as soon as I unplug it from the charger. No trouble with using genuine Apple cords. A Belkin also worked. I just watched it runthrough some of my sent text messages and then it typed a gibberish word and sent it without me touching the phone! The first time I saw it act like that it flased all kinds of screens and apps and suddenly tried placing a call to an unknown number beforeI could unplug it! While it is under that "influence", I couldn't get any control using the home button. Glad to know it isn't being remotely hijacked. See if that is what is causing your problem. I assume some kind of electrical incompatibility. The first time I also noticed the phone get very warm in a short time!

Sharon mine does the same thing. Everyone of my friends and family day it's possessed. I wondered if I had gotten hacked

by Joanna

My iPhone

5 has been behaving like that since last year. I'll be sitting there at my desk with it next to me, plugged in or not and all of a sudden it will start going through menus, deleting messages, selecting this and that and like I said it happens all the tim , plugged in or not.to the metadata so maybe it[s secutoty jamming the 8900

I have an iPhone 6 and I'm having the same problems. My phone has its own mind. HELP!

I'm suddenly having this problem with my iPhone 6 also.

by Drew VanKrevelen

Drew, I made an appointment with Genius Bar to figure things out. When I first arrived there they knew what I was talking about and replaced the screen with a new one. They told me everything was fine. But as I got home it was still doing the same stuff. I called back to talk to an apple care tech and she was amazing. She made sure I was going to get it fix no matter what.bwe went through the steps of rebooting the phone and all but still, nothing. I went back into the Apple Store and explain what was going on and that we have tried everything we possibly can to try and resolve the situation so, they ended up giving me a refurbish phone. Hey something is better than that crazy phone I had! Hope you get it figured out.

by Thuy Ha Le

Hey Thuy Ha Le, I did exactly what you did but now my apple replaced phone is doing again! For me, this issue happens when I'm on LTE connection. Never happens when connected to wifi. I think the issue is related to software, not hardware! I'll make another GeniusBar appointment...:(

by JJMMC 1992

My phones just did that same thing too I freaked out..my heart started beating super fast..it's like knew something was around me maybe just because I freaked me out..it started going in and out of apps then tried to take a picture then went to calculator and typed the number 10 and went out of calculator to camera again..freaky.i have a iPhone 5c..9.0version

This is what my phone is doing too!!!!! But when i take it back to the store i bought it from,it won"t act up!!!! Then i called Telus techs and all they can suggest is factory reset...I have done that a few times, Tonight i was on the phone with my daughter and the phone dials a contact and hangs up on my daughter. I could be navigating and then all of a sudden it starts navigating on its on! Telus said if I send it back to Apple and they don't find anything wrong with it, ill have to pay for their trouble. I don't know what to do, it's still under warranty. Any suggestions?

by christinatoles67

This may be related to an app conflict. There are three things I've tried that seem to help. 1) Double-tap the home button to see the apps running in the background and swipe up on each one until they're all gone (except the home screen). 2) Delete any apps that you don't need or use. 3) You should also go to Settings, look through your list of apps, and tap each one to see what kinds of things it's doing in the background. You can set Location to Never or While Using the App instead of Always, turn off some or all notifications, and turn off Background App Refresh. Check them all and only allow the things you need turned on.

by Drew VanKrevelen

I have had the same issues with my iPhone 6. Tried all the resets and restores. Verizon finally sent a new phone and it, too, is starting to do the same thing.

See my reply above for some possible remedies.

by Drew VanKrevelen

According to Apple, this is a hardware problem. My phone began living a life of it's own several weeks ago by the screen going blank, texting by itself, iTunes shutting off, etc., but the most annoying thing is that the touch screen won't work when you need it the most, like trying to answer a phone call. I discovered that by hitting the phone fairly hard on a flat surface, the phone begins working again sometimes days at a time and other time hours or minutes, but it works! Make sure the touch screen is facing up and slap the phone on a hard flat surface. Works for me and I hope it works for you too. I do have a new phone on the way though!

This may be related to an app conflict. There are three things I've tried that seem to help.

1) Double-tap the home button to see the apps running in the background and swipe up on each one until they're all gone (except the home screen).

2) Delete any apps that you don't need or use.

3) You should also go to Settings, look through your list of apps, and tap each one to see what kinds of things they're doing in the background. You can set Location to Never or While Using the App instead of Always, turn off some or all notifications, and turn off Background App Refresh. Check all your apps and only allow the things you need turned on.

I have iphone 5. This morning, I was selecting a bunch mail to delete and I clicked the buttons next to each email to then delete. When I went to delete the mail, I saw that all of the blue check marks had unchecked themselves. I had to go back and click all the emails I had previously just done. So weird. Also, one time the Utilities app on my phone renamed itself. Once again, a mind of its own.

by Margaret Anderson

my iPhone 5c has a mind of its own, I keep having to restore it, then its okay for a few days everything works well. and then out of the blue I press an app or the home button then bang it goes into dfu mode and the connect to iTunes logo appears, I have had enough of this phone............. bill geddes

my iPhone 6 doing all sorts weird things on its own to have a video of it doing it any ideas done a hard reset and still the same aaaaaaaagggghhh

It is difficult to address the issue because it is a strange problem, but from your story it seems your problem arises from the system connector ( charging port), so try these steps.

1- switch off the device and remove dust/dirt/lint from the port with a paper clip or large needle because it could be causing a short which interferes with the digitizer. Run the paperclip sideways very lightly across the contact points to clean the contacts.

2- open the device and clean the contacts on the home button and press and tape the flex connector at the bottom of the device to ensure proper connection.

3- check that digitizer connector is properly connected.

4-replace digitizer

My iPhone does all of these things. It's a 6 plus, called an old contact on its own, I tried to hang up on the 3rd time , guess it didn't work....got a text msg "did you call me"...I'm like no, my phone did! This is nuts. So frustrating...where is my old blackberry!

by GeorgeW

My iphone 6 does this all the time and has nothing to do with the charger or wifi. It will randomly type characters, open apps. this morning it tried to FT someone in my contacts (which would have been highly awkward had I not been able to stop it!). I've done many restarts and this morning I reset it. Originally the restarts would resolve the problem for a while and then in the last two days it has remedied nothing. Basically, I can't use the phone for anything.

My iPhone does the same thing

by Chloe

kathryn will be eternally grateful.