Learn about the skills that you might need to work on your device.

How is Verizon capable of blocking the *#0*# diagnostics menu

Just curious on how Verizon can embed software into phones to block *#0*# and *#7343*# diagnostics menu and why do so.

Does flashing with any firmware bypass this with odin?

It just makes testing so much easier when this is available.

@andre_faughn . Which Samsung phone do you have?

Yes, Verizon has final say what goes into the firmware on Samsung phones that they sell.

Tmobile and AT&T do the same.

It also could be that Samsung has retired the codes you mentioned and changed the access code for the diagnostic menu, or Verizon disabled them as you suggested. A very good reason why it would be disabled or changed is because Galaxy 2 ,3, 4, and early 5, had a specific order you go through the menu and it would unlock the phone permanently. Obviously, the telecoms aren't happy about this, especially when these phones are sold at a discounted price.

Alternate ROMs may have these codes still.

That makes sense, I was just curious to why and how they do it, being the only carrier that limits that capability. I do repairs for a company with 14 stores who sell used phones so its pretty much every model I work with. Thank you for the information I really appreciate it.

@andre_faughn no problem. I have a Galaxy S8+ that was originally Verizon FW, and I followed a reddit thread on how to flash to stock unlocked FW. This brought back the diagnostic command.

Andre Faughn will be eternally grateful.