Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

iPhone 4 fell into bleach and water down the toilet. Last resorts?

my iphone 4 fell into the toilet that had a mix of bleach and water in side of it. the phone was only submerged for a matter of seconds. so i dried it out over about 3 week with the rice technique and a hair dryer with no luck.

So cleaned the inside with alcohol and I replaced the battery and the dock connector also with no luck.

so I was wondering is there are any last resort fixes i could try? I'm willing 2 attempt any thing.

is there no light/backlight on display? is phone recognised in itunes? maybe the problem is the display.... I don't work on iphone 4 but the other generations the LCD and/or the battery is most commonly killed by water damage.

Most Helpful Answer

Just attended a repair course for the iPhone. The ultrasonic method DOES work, I've seen it first hand. Make sure you use distilledH20 and a couple drops of dawn detergent. Place it (the motherboard) in and let it cycle for 15 minutes. Then take it out and gently scrub it with a soft bristled toothbrush. Repeat this process twice more then place it under an ordinary desk lamp for about an hour. This has worked several times for me but no guarantee...Good luck

Hey,

I just came across your post. I have the Same exact issue with my iphone, the good news is my friend has one of these machines. I will try and give it a shot, do you know what temperature I should use?

what a good combination, have u opened up the shielding ? is there much corrosion on the PCB ? try to clean with IPA, and then put it in an ultrasonic cleaner cos a couple of cycles, then dry it out and heat it up. make sure u dont see any corrosion left on the board, if you do, resolder the contact points. perhaps also try it with a new battery, more work in repairing an if4 then an if3. good luck :)

normally i use distilled water in the ultrasonic cleaner, then i heat it up then i reflow it

Hey lol yep it most definitely is. yep i opened up the shielding and the was a little amount of corrosion and on PCB as well.

thanks for the help ill try cleaning it with IPA this weekend.

also would you recommend an ultrasonic cleaner to use?

yeah use an ultrasonic cleaner if u can

what ultrasonic cleaner would you recommend and what process?

with the IPA should I clean parts of the iphone or submerge the hole phone in to it?

ultrasonic cleaner for jewelery is fine, and use distilled water in the ultrasonic bath.

alright thank 4 the info. one last question

with the IPA should I clean parts of the iphone like the connectors ans where the corrosion is or should i just submerge the hole phone in to the IPA?

I put the cleaner on med setting using room temp. distilled h20. Hope this helps!

reflowing chips/mobos without proper preheating may "popcorn" the chip. refer to freescale/motorolas reflow recommendations. Otherwise your reflow success rate will likely not be 100%

Jamie will be eternally grateful.