4-inch iPhone released in March 2016 with similar hardware specifications to the 6s. Available in Silver, Space Grey, Gold, or Rose Gold with 16/64 GB storage options. Model A1662 and A1723.

How to fix fingerprint scanner/home button no longer working?

A few days ago my home button started to stop working randomly, as in the phone would not recognize the button clicking, however the button itself still remained physically clicky. It would only register every 5th click or so. Soon afterwards, the button function ceased entirely. The fingerprint scanner still remained fully operational. I left the home button in since replacing it would restore the button, but not the scanner, and i preferred the scanner over the button.

Just earlier today, my fingerprint scanner began to behave the same way, only working every 5th try or so. Then it completely ceased to function.

My home button still physically clicks, and the touch id passcode page on the phone still recognizes fingerprint scanner funcitonality, but does not respond when i attempt to put a finger in. The home button function does not work, and the fingerprint scanner does not work.

I can easily restore the button function by replacing the home button, but is there anyway to restore the fingerprint scanner without going through apple?

Hi @trans1000. There is no way to replace the home button and preserve Touch ID. The sensor is uniquely paired with each CPU to be secure. If your original home button is dead, so the touch ID is dead forever.

Anyway to troubleshoot the original button?

I'm Sorry, but the home button is not repairable. The only way is replace all the logic board with his original home button.

Trans1000 will be eternally grateful.