The first generation of the Chevrolet Equinox, a crossover SUV from Chevrolet based on General Motors' Theta platform.

Why does my engine make a noise when my vehicle idles?

My equinox runs great except engine makes a strage noise when the vehicle idles at stoplights and such. At first we thought it was the air conditioning compressor which is giving trouble, but it does it when the air is off too.

Would you describe the noise?

It is almost as if the driver is lightly mashing the gas with the vehicle in park only no one is mashing the gas and the vehicle is in drive with the driver's foot on the brake. It doesn't do it everytime, only randomly.

I took it to three different mechanics and they all told me something different. The first one said it was the air conditioner. He also put it on the comupter and didn't get any codes. The second one who is the air conditioner guy said it was the torque converter and sent me to a different guy. The third one somewhat agreed with the first one and said it was the air conditioner. What I don't understand is why it is fine in park and only does this when the truck is in drive and is worse when going in reverse. I tend to agree with the second guy that it sounds like something to do with the transmission. Since it is a cross over vehicle you can't check the transmission fluid to see if it is low. My question is, should transmission problems show up on the diagnostic computer?

Go to Auto Zone and get them to hook up their diagnostic machine. There's no charge.

Vanessa, I believe that even with the air off you can still get a surging of the engine due to a coolant loss in your system. So if you are having compressor issues, I would not totally rule it out. Of course there are 100's more possibilities for this type of symptom, so like mayer says, good idea to get it on an engine analyzer and see what it will tell you.

Take it to a gm dealer they have a better scan tool and it Prolly won't tell u anything if the lights not on at autozone its just a code reader the tech 2 is a much better tool

GM has a TSB on this problem. Take it to your dealer and they will fix.

It may be your idler pulley or your water pump. I had the same issue. Both are relatively easy repairs and inexpensive. You can probably do them yourself with some youtube videos. Take your serpentine belt off and run your vehicle see if you can hear the noise more clearly. Turn off your engine and spin both the idler pulley and the water pump to see if they make crazy noises without the belt.

Vanessa will be eternally grateful.