Dropped phone in water - everything fine except I can't hear

So I dropped my phone in the water yesterday for a brief second. When I picked it up and inspected it everything works fine except for the sound. I can't hear anything unless I have the headphones in. When I try to just put the volume up it states the headphone volume went up even when there isn't headphones connected.

My phone dropped in the water for like 3 seconds then I took it out I called to see if it worked and it did but when I play games...no sound and it says I have head phones in yet I don't I put rice yet still no sound what do I do but I'm not taking any chances on taking my phone apart

With water damage, you have to decontaminate the logic board before doing anything else, otherwise there will be latent issues down the road. The water probably got in via the ear speaker. From there, it has a tendency to migrate it's way to the logic board...if it shorts out a capacitor on the main voltage line, then the phone is dead. In your case, the ear speaker may still have water, hence no sound.

• Open your phone and remove the logic board (follow this guide)
  • Inspect the logic board, especially around the connectors and look for corrosion.
  • Inspect both sides of the board. Unfortunately, 80% of the board is covered in shields. That's usually where the damage is occurring.
  • Put your board in a container with >90% isopropyl alcohol and let it sit for a while.
  • Use a soft brush, like a toothbrush and lightly brush away any corrosion you see.
  • Rinse in alcohol and repeat.
  • Let it air dry for a day.
  • Re-assemble and hope for the best.

You should also replace the battery if it has swollen. Resist the temptation to pop it to let the gas out. A compromised Li-ion battery is a fire hazard. If the device appears to power up but behaves erratically, then use a tool like 3uTools to flash the firmware as it may be corrupted.

A professional repair shop that does water damage repair may be able to recover your phone or the data because they have access to pro-level ultrasonic baths and specialized cleaners as well as the skills to troubleshoot your board. Many shops have a no fix/no fee policy so you don't have to spend money to find out if the phone is fixable or not.

But does this method work for Andriod?

Hi @ IDon'tEvenKnow,

Water doesn't care if it is Android or Apple.

The only difference is after you have properly cleaned the device is how you restore it to an operating condition.

If your device doesn't startup properly, and hopefully it does startup after the repair search online for how to hard reset the device using the hardware buttons or how to flash the firmware for your particular make and model Android device.

Ifixit has a lot of guides on how to repair Android devices, just use the search box at the top of the page to look for your particular make and model device. If there is none there search on YouTube for "your make and model device teardown" to see if there is a video showing how to disassemble the device.

I did the same thing and afterwards everything worked except for the sound. I couldn't play music, hear someone on the phone, or anything. I looked up stuff but I didn't know how to do most of it so I went to the basics: sticking it in rice. I put my phone in a ziplock of rice and made sure all the air was out of the bag. I left it there over night and the next morning I could play music. It might not work for everyone but it worked for me.

I have music, and sound when I go through the text tones and ringer. But, I have no sound sending or receiving text messages and phone calls.

Put a paper towel over the speaker and blow dry it but don’t have it on. Wait to turn it on until the next day . Then use headphones bc that’s the hole that’s not working. You’ll hear it. Use that for hours then try without the headphones it should work.

Jennifer will be eternally grateful.